z

Young Writers Society

Language books?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:26 am
Emerson says...

Some of you may know, I speak French :-D well, I was going through this very old and beaten copy I have of "Read, Write, and Speak French" and its amazing, I'm thinking of using it to skip ahead of my class. It's not just "Here are the phrases you need, now go say them 500 times" and I was looking for books in other languages like this, but as of yet I can't find any.

I was thinking of putting this in the language group, since they would know, but I thought I put it here in case someone wasn't in the language group and can help. (Or have amazing google skills!)

I would like a book on German, Russian, and possibly Latin. Books used to learn the actual language, not just what you need to know when you go visit. The book I have is by Bantam publishers, and I can't find any in other languages which is disappointing. So I'm really hoping I can get some help on this one!

(If anyone has an old one they would like to get rid of, I have a www.bookmooch.com account :-D)
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:34 am
Poor Imp says...

An American publisher, I suppose...

Power Glide thought up by Dr. Blair - I believe he designed immersion courses for US military and CIA. And I think you can get the books apart from CD's and such, depending on what you're looking for Clau. ^_^

IMP
Last edited by Poor Imp on Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

2058 Reviews

Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:35 am
Emerson says...

Thanks Imp :-) your link is broke though hee. no quote marks. I'll check it out.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:40 am
Poor Imp says...

Oy... !_! Unbroken now, at least. ^_^

I hope it's helpful.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:30 pm
Leja says...

Alright, this is probably not quite what you're looking for, but I'll share anyway:

if you go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/catchphrase/thelloyds/lessons1.shtml off of BBC.co.uk 's Wales page, there are audio and transcribed lessons for learning Welsh. I jumped there by accident one day, started listening, and have been hooked on it since. It's awesome because it, like Claudette's book, is not about repeating phrases a million times, but by listening to the running story of "the Lloyds" you listen for key phrases, then build on the vocabulary over time.

Sorry again, Claudette, that I couldn't help in any of the languages you were looking for, but I thought that this was an amazing way to learn a language, and was very easy to pick up on.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:05 am
Wiggy says...

The book I'm using is called "Live from Moscow" series. It's college level, but it's great and you learn the language and different useful situtations, especially for college, through a DVD that goes with each unit. I have a feeling you'd really like it! Just google it and I'm sure you can find something...
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

2058 Reviews

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:26 am
Emerson says...

Being the cheep-o I am, I found a few books on www.bookmooch.com that satisfied (somewhat) my language craving. The German one was a dud, sadly. But my Russian book is great (although I am without pronunciation CDs) Russian in Three Months: a Hugo simplified Language Course.

I suppose it could actually happen in three months if you were studying it every single day... I wish I was, but I haven't the time. As for German, I ended up getting more of a phrase book... But I've decided to take German over the summer, and teach myself while doing so.

Still nothing on Latin, though I found something on Polish, then figured not to get it, I have enough language to worry about :-D

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.
— T.S. Eliot