z

Young Writers Society

Player Piano

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:29 am
Snoink says...

Okay... so people kept asking me whether I read Kurt Vonnegut Jr. and I kept wondering who he was. Well, I finally decided to read him. So I went to the library and was about to pick up his famous novel, Slaughterhouse Five and... it wasn't there.

Grrr...

Instead, I found another novel. Player Piano to be exact. Well, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but hey! Maybe I could find out what the author was all about.

Hehee...

Okay. If you can, picture a happy version of 1984. Okay? Now, picture that in America, and you got Player Piano.

After the world war, efficiency has been the cry for Americans all around! No more splurging! No more human emotions making dents on productivity... because that is obviously very bad and very ineffiencent. No, instead everything that can be is run by machines, who, by being so unemotional and objectional, are obviously better suited for that.

The only people left to do jobs are those that are engineers or managers. They can spend their money on frivolous ways... no problem. They just have to be really good. Oh, did I mention their IQs had to be really high? More on THAT later, lol.

As for everyone else? They are divided into two groups -- the army or the reconstruction. They don't really get much money or anything, but they nobody starves, is homeless, or anything! Everybody gets what they need via a welfare state! How happy...

So basically, people get to sit around all day and stuff.

So! What determines whether a person can go into college and become an engineer or manager? Simple! Their IQs! Depending on what their IQ is, they are put into categories that are deemed suitable for them. And woe to anyone who has a bad IQ!

Now... the background is set...

Paul Proteus is an engineer who is unsatisfied. As he tries to figure out why he is unsatisfied, he becomes involved with an underground organization to stop the machines and to restore power back to The People.

...simple story, but the idea is so pretty, I had to share it! :O

Anyway, good stuff. The beginning is slow and at the ending, I wanted to... um... kill certain people, but it really is an incredible story! :D You should totally read it and stuff.
Last edited by Snoink on Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:00 am
Flemzo says...

"Totally read it and stuff", haha.

I'll check it out. I've only read a little bit of Vonnegut, but what I've read I've enjoyed.

With great power... comes great need to take a nap. Wake me up later.
— Rick Riordan, The Heroes of Olympus