z

Young Writers Society

Reviews

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:39 pm
Esmé says...

Okay, has anyone ever read one of Tamora Pierce's books? Well, she wrote tons of them (uh, not really), but all of them are great, but "The Trickster's Choice" is my fave.
"The Trickster's Choice" is about a girl called Aly, the daughter of another of Pierce's charachters. (Each of her books is set in the same fiction world, all characters in all books are related to one another in some way). Anyways, Aly is kidnapped and... thats were the adventure begins. I won't tell you what happens, but I suppose writing that Aly becomes a spymaster and is interwined (uh, is that a word?) in a revolt. Actually, she will be one of its leaders and help a new queen ascend the throne.
Hmmm... I suppose i mixed the "Choice" with its continuation.., Oh well...
Last edited by Esmé on Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:58 pm
Shafter says...

I wasn't that impressed with Trickster's Choice, mostly because it started off with a sentence that, to me, looked like this:

"In the first years of the land of Nislkkewulzmzuauiliy, the Flagoranielosnsins invaded the neighboring province of Siekmxilmslixklax..."

The writer bogged me down with rather pointless history before launching into the actual story. Never a good way to start a book.

However...

Nawat rocked. I mean, totally. The only reason I kept reading was because of Nawat. ;)
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:26 pm
uniaeca says...

I enjoyed Trickster's Choice, mainly because I had wanted to know what happened to Alanna's children, after reading about them in the Immortals series. Also because I loved the young Alanna (mommy Alanna's kinda evil).

Some of the points I liked was how Pierce incorporated modern day things that teenagers do, into a kind of medieval setting. Of course, I'm talking about Aly's choice of hair colour.

I also absolutely adored Nawat - such awkward humanness for a young hatchling!

And of course, if we went onto the second book I liked the man (I think it was Taybur or something, long time since I've read them) who cared for the young prince. I felt extremely sorry and in love with him at the end of the series.
Sporks!! and Waffles!! Ohhhh that waffley goodness stabbed with a spork!

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:25 am
Jenita says...

Well, I love Tamora Pierce's books, but I just CAN"T get through Trickster's choice... I loved the Alanna books, those are my favorite, I liked the whole Daine aspect of that universe, I liked all the Circle of Magic books (especially Will of the Empress -- that was amazing) but the Trickster books...

Which is sort of sad because I really want to know what happens to her in the end. I always get to the part where they're sailing down the river after the family is moving and all the natives are staring at them, and then they make camp and..... I don't know what happens next. (Can I say ... frustrated? :roll: )

I'm trying to get through it for the fourth time right now (a.k.a. it's sitting on my bookshelf) but I haven't started it yet because of school and stuff...

But then again, I'm cursed -- I can put down perfectly suspenseful books. Why is that a problem? Because a lot of the time I forget to pick them up again. Doubtless the Trickster's Choice is a really good book, and it has something special in it, and I certainly enjoy reading it, but I never seem to be able to finish it.

And there's my little pocket rant. You'll probably see more of them soon.
~HAKUNA MATATA~

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:17 pm
Max McKali says...

tricksters choice was definitely my fav. it took a while to figure out all the history, but it was worth it. The characters were well developed and interesting, as were the political matters.
"All for one and one for all- that is our motto, is it not?"

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:53 pm
EstelPax says...

Good Book! But my fsv. is probaly Lioness Rampant or Realms of the Gods
Hope for Peace

571 Reviews

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:21 pm
Esmé says...

Yeah, mine too. I liked the Alanna, Kel and Diane series the most. The Circle is okay, but somehow I never took to it as much as I did to the Tortall ones.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:11 am
Jenita says...

Anyone read the Beka Cooper that just came out (or, rather, came out in November but my city's deprived library just got a copy)? I'm reading that right now and so far it's really good. I thought that Kel was too much like Alanna, but Daine I did/do like. :)
~HAKUNA MATATA~

571 Reviews

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:47 am
Esmé says...

No, I haven't read it yet, but I'm dying to, lol. Is it good? I'll have to order it, I think. And then wait, wait, wait, wait....

-elein

P.S. Is it good?

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:03 pm
niteowl says...

I loved Trickster's Choice and the sequel. My first exposure to Tamora Pierce was the first "The Circle Opens" book. Not realizing that this was the sequel to another quartet (which I may never actually get to reading), I didn't enjoy it at first. Now I get it a little better, and I finished the second "The Circle Opens" book.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

571 Reviews

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:44 pm
Esmé says...

You should start from a series in Tortall (Like the lioness quarter). -But that's just my opinion, Haha, my fave series, in case you didn't notice, lol.

-elein (Yes, that is really necessary, is it not?)

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:45 pm
Lilyy03 says...

I haven't read Trickster's Choice, though I might since I've heard some good stuff about it... I'm not really a fan of Tamora Pierce, though. I read the first two "Immortals" books, the first Lioness book, and the first three in the "Circle of Magic"... None of them really struck me as being that great. I guess I don't really like her style, or her charactrs that much...

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:57 am
TellATaleForTwo says...

omg! i love tamora pierce! tricksters choice and the sequel were... good... but a huge let down to me. my absolute fav was the liones series!!!!! which was the first. if u want to try tamora pierce deffinately start with the lioness series!
"Theoretically, if you go to the past in the future, then your future lies in the past. This is a picture of you in the future - in the past."

~Kate and Leopold

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:44 pm
onceuponatim3xo says...

What are the books of the lioness series called? I borrowed Tricksters Choice from the library, but I realized that it seemed to be like a sequel, what's the VERY FIRST book?
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
-Buddha

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:53 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

"Trickster's Choice" was actually my introduction to Tamora Pierce. I loved them, despite having to figure out the history. I also do like the Lioness books, but I haven't read much more by her. It seems that the books are directed towards different age levels of readers, and the reader is supposed to grow with the series. It seemed to me that the Lioness books start out for younger readers, but by the end are a bit more mature. Did anyone else notice this, or am I just weird?

Anyway, great stuff, these books. Nawat. *nod nod* I'm all about Nawat...

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

How can I be king of the world? Because I am king of rubbish. And rubbish is what the world is made of.
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane