z

Young Writers Society

Sophie's World

Reviews: 1
Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:25 pm
Zolariel says...

Sophie's World
by: Jostein Gaarder

Unlike the rest of those philosophy books, Sophie's World presents old themes not in new, but in an incredibly interesting styles. Abandoning the orthodox manner of stating facts with boring, monotonous sentences outlined with bullet marks, Sophie's World is a journey from Socrates, to Marx and beyond.

People who read this book will be fascinated by the story-like way in which Gaarder presents the facts.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who likes a challenge. Beware, not for people whose vocabulary does not span beyond three syllable words!!

-Zola

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:02 am
View Likes
backgroundbob says...

Well, I'd disagree with everything you said about philosophy books, but Sophie's World is indeed excellent.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:12 am
Meshugenah says...

*runs and hides*

I think I would've liked it better if it wasn't required for English this year.

But yes, it was rather good (but still! Me and Crys had to read it for English! English! Not philosophy, English!).
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:59 pm
tinny says...

I keep noticing the copy in our LRC because the cover is bright pink. I'll have to take it out sometime.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

Reviews: 3
Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:40 am
saoirse says...

I tried reading it. It was fun learning about the different philosophers and such, but I just thought it was kind of cheesy to add a fictional story to it. I'd rather read a full-on philosophy book.
sweetheart
sick body part
sickheart
sweet body part

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:32 am
Crysi says...

*TWITCH*

Honestly, I couldn't stand the book. The philosophy was presented in an idiotic fashion, and the plot - assuming there was one - made me wonder if someone slipped something into my drink.

I had a huge "WTF?" bubble over my head for the entire book.

If you're looking for a good story, I suggest you NOT read this book. It's... messed up, and it'll really mess with your mind.

Still keep wondering if I should poke the author up there or not...
Love and Light

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:29 pm
nerdpony says...

Mmmmmm, yes. Sophie's World was a really awesome book... kind of like Ishmael (what I'm currently reading), just longer, without a gorilla, and doesn't start analyzing symbolic stuff in the Bible.

Anyways, I highly recommend it. It's long, but goes quickly.

266 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:50 pm
backgroundbob says...

It was what got me interested in philosophy - you have to remember that Gaarder is a children's writer, and Sophie's World is presented at philosophy for children; you can't expect it to entirely measure up to adult standards.

Also, the more philosophy modules I take, the more I realise how right all of his analysis is - when I began a proper study of philosophy, I started losing my respect for the book as well, but slowly I'm getting it back: there's a lot both in the 'lessons' and in the actual narrative that is extremely astute, you've just got to look out for it.
The Oneday Cafe

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:45 pm
Alainna says...

Hate to say it but............I hate this book. I got half way and thought 'I give up'.

It just does nothing to keep you hooked, I understand reading it if you're into philosophy, but otherwise I wouldn't really bother.

Alainna
xxxxxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

266 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:59 pm
backgroundbob says...

I would say if you're not into philosophy, you're not into living.
The Oneday Cafe

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:30 pm
Jules the jester says...

BackgroundBob I agree with you completely without philosophy you are not living.

i am just about to start reading this book for my Philosophy and Ethics Class and am looking forward to it indeed.
Man:George look at this.
George: look at what?
Man: Ha made you look!
George: Idiot!

'Like' and 'equal' are two entirely different things.
— Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time