z

Young Writers Society

Crime And Punishment

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:30 am
Emerson says...

I just finished the book today, it took me nearly a month to read! But it was well worth it.

It was rough, the plot goes slowly through the whole thing. I suggest it to anyone who wants to read a good story, but if you can't handle reading 10 pages to only have one important thing happening, don't try it :-D There are a lot of events that come up (like the girl walking through the street, being chased by the man!) that have almost no relevance as far as I can see.

But in the end, the story is good. Has anyone else read it? I know CL has, she says Notes from the underground also by D. is better. I'd love to discuss the themes from C and P with someone ;-)
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:44 pm
Myth says...

I love Dostoyevsky! It took me about a week to read C&P and I got my own copy *treasures her book*
.: ₪ :.

'...'

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:31 pm
Emerson says...

what was your favorite part, myth?

I liked when Svidrigailov (sp?) killed himself. And when he had Dounia all cornered in the room.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:54 am
Poor Imp says...

Plot move slowly--no! Too much goes on internally that's inextricably connected to the external there's always something happening in it. ^_^

Meaning I've read it, of course. ^_^ It's endlessly involving--Raskolnikov's struggle is like nails on a chalkboard, only in the end you want to hear it to its end.

(And you've spelled Svidrigailov correctly.^_~)
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

Reviews: 4
Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:24 pm
JStewart says...

Hey everyone.

I heard that this was a fascinating novel and I really do plan on reading it when I get the chance. A friend of mine did an oral presentation in class for his book report and it has intrigued me ever since then.

Maybe this holiday break..

J.

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:26 pm
lucafont90 says...

Wonderful novel, not my favorite though.
I am a published author with two novels on the market.

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:33 pm
Dream Deep says...

At the moment, I think it counts as my favorite, though admittedly my favorite changes rather often. ^_~

Claudette wrote:I liked when Svidrigailov (sp?) killed himself. And when he had Dounia all cornered in the room.

That was a good part - suspensful, good because it's hard to believe that Dostoyevsky would write something with suspense. I liked (V)razumikhin the best, as far as characterization goes, but Raskolnikov was brilliantly done, too. I think Dostoyevsky has the monopoly on character and emotion. Chekhov has it on involving description and Tolstoy is pretty much regularly depressing. *cough* The Death of Ivan Illych *cough*

:wink:

~Dreamy

No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies.
— Daisy Bates