z

Young Writers Society

Ink Heart & Ink Spell by Cornelia Funke

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:08 pm
last mohican says...

I've recently come across a trilogy of books that has sucked me in completely. Now I normally obsess about what I read, but it was even worse in this particular case. The characters in Ink Heart(the 1st) and Ink Spell(the 2nd) are all too real and you
will care about their fate whether you want to or not, Dustfinger especially. For anyone who loves books or books about books or just wants a page turning adventure that will ensnare your mind, I highly recommend these two books in the trilogy(sadly, the final volume has yet to be released).
"...I have conclusively determined that you are not Hamlet, Scout Finch, Frankenstine's monster, Ms. Marple, or a golum. Aren't you relieved to know you're not a golum?"~Dustin Hoffman

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:22 am
lillizard says...

I agree. I read inkheart and inspell and they are some of the best and most captivating books I have ever read. I just wish that Cornelia Funke would hurry up and write some more masterpieces.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:48 pm
Ares says...

I'm pretty sure she has a few others. The Thief Lord...isn't that by her too? You guys might wanna check that out, one of my younger friends read it and was obsessed with Venice for awhile.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:02 pm
lillizard says...

I know. I've already read Inkheart, Inkspell, Dragon Rider, and The Thief Lord. They're all great books, especially Inkpell.
If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a wisher, a lier, a magic bean buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, For we have some flax-golden tales to spin Come In! Come In!~Shel Silverstein

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:38 pm
Fireweed says...

Inkheart is quite good, and the Thief Lord is better yet. It's intended for younger kids, I think, but still a great story.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

Reviews: 1
Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:51 pm
Harmony'sSake says...

I agree! I have read Inkheart, Inkspell and Dragon Rider and they are all great!
"You should have died! Died rather than betray your friends as we would have for you!" Sirius Black

You know you are obsessed when you know enough quotes that you could use a new one everyday for almost a year!

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:44 am
Phanzanu says...

I've read Inkheart, but I dropped the book about 4/5 of the way... sadly, it doesn't hold my interest much. Maybe it's because of the straightforwardness (sp?) of the characters?

My friend also dropped the book because something about its "aura" made her uninterested in it. She couldn't explain it much but she said it's the mood of the book. Something about linking the past and the present, and fantasy and reality... the fantasy just doesn't hold with the presence of cellphones, she said.

But! I really liked The Thief Lord and I recommend others to read it. The ending wasn't really satisfying for me but it's a really good read. I stayed at the bookstore for a good hour-plus just to finish reading it!

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:53 pm
Shadeslayer says...

FINALY i have found a topic about the inkheart trilogy!

i absoulutly love it. my favourite charecter would have to be friad he is so awesome and i can't wait till the 3rd book "InkDeath" comes out!

Yep, i am hyper about the Inkheart trilogy lol

Shadeslayer out
I Should Have Complete Faith In My Own Existence, Because In Order To Be Decieved About Anything, I Must First Exist

Got YWS?
Go The Dragons!

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:02 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

I could not get into "Inkheart". I have no idea why. But it was just... "Bleagh, when does the plot start?", though not quite as badly as, say, Tolkein or Sabriel. :P

I enjoyed "The Thief Lord", beautiful book...until the ending, haha. I absolutely hated the ending. XD
ohmeohmy

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:16 am
Leja says...

Oh, The Thief Lord was nice ^_^ though I watched the movie first. And I suppose I got caught up in the setting more than the story XD

But Inkheart and Inkspell I found hard to get into. I don't think I really made it past more than a few pages.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:18 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Amelia wrote:Oh, The Thief Lord was nice ^_^ though I watched the movie first. And I suppose I got caught up in the setting more than the story XD

The movie I found hilarious, and all for the wrong reasons. The Thief Lord's mask! :smt005
ohmeohmy

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:35 am
Leja says...

The Thief Lord's mask!

Oh good I'm not the only one! XD

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:41 pm
Audy says...

I loved The Thief Lord, the characters were fun, but I agree the setting was probably the best part of it all, the descriptions pretty much put me there.

I prefer Inkheart over Inkspell, Dustfinger is such a great character though! And Gwen too, of course :wink: The relationship between Meggie and Mo is what I enjoyed the most and of course, I found myself wishing I had their voices so I could bring up some of my favorite characters :lol: I can't wait for the movie to come out! =D

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:44 pm
tinny says...

My sister really likes them, but when I tried to read them I kept thinking 'this is a translation... from German... I know German...don't I?' and so I'm trying to order original copies XD
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:05 pm
alleycat13 says...

Ink Heart as amazing. Unfortunately, I've yet to read Ink Spell. I totally agree with you about Dustfinger. He's an enthralling character.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

so many languages have fallen / off of the edge of the world / into the dragon's mouth.
— Lucille Clifton