z

Young Writers Society

The Pearl, by John Steinbeck

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:39 am
Elizabeth says...

I don't care what the rest of the stupid English IB class says, I liked this book. For once in my life I liked a book with symbolism and simplicity. DUH KINO throw away the pearl! NO! So yeah... I liked this book and there's nothing you can do to stop me from liking it.

Basically, there is a poor man who has a poor exisance and finds the pearl of the world... but with a fortune there comes a price... *ominous voice*

Good read.

Voice yoru opinions... now...

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:06 pm
Fand says...

Oh no...

I read this in the seventh grade... three times. In one year. Yeah. My English teacher was not only an airhead, she was also a stubborn, sadistic airhead who didn't believe us when we said we'd already read it. So no good memories with this one. But if I can put those aside... I kind of agree. It wasn't bad (the first time, at least).
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:57 pm
The Jesseble says...

I think English teachers are in love with John Steinbeck because at the moment I'm doing 'Of Mice and Men' for my exam.

I think Johnm Steinbeck is a good author anyway, he uses so much symbolism in a way which is beautiful to read.

The only problem is that I have to take appart the novel and analysis it. A cruel way to make a good book bad!
***The Jesseble***

Cheese Hat

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:52 pm
Max McKali says...

i read the pearl last year and really liked it as well. the symbolism was great, and the story was entertaining enough.
"All for one and one for all- that is our motto, is it not?"

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:28 am
Incandescence says...

My only issue with Steinbeck is that he underestimates the reader's ability. Everything is spelled out, and there is really nothing left for you to think about. Even that pesky symbolism in his work is not overlooked because he practically drowns you in it.

I think I read to learn about life, and if the book has nothing to offer to that end, I expect at least to grow my vocabulary (it's like a Chia Pet, of sorts...). Unfortunately, though I do like Steinbeck, I couldn't bring myself to feel that he had really tried whith The Pearl. So, basically, I was dissatisfied with it for purely selfish reasons, but don't blame me--blame Steinbeck. Teehee.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

pain is that feeling when you are feeling hurt, but it never goes away leaving me hurt. oh it hurts.
— Dragonthorn