z

Young Writers Society

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:39 am
Meshugenah says...

[spoiler]I have to agree about the epiolgue, but I can see what it was necessary.

Ok, what confused me? Wasn't Harry named Teddy's godfather? Then why wasn't Teddy with the Potters? Unless I missed something (I just finished, and haven't re-checked anything yet...), WHAT? But goodness. Remus AND Tonks! *sniffle* I loved those two...

The whole bringing-half-his-family-back bit at the end before Voldy tried to kill him the first time was just weird. I mean, it made sense, but.. gah. That bugged me. [/spoiler]

It was without a doubt the best of the series, but not the easiest to read.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:49 am
Black Ghost says...

[spoiler]As for the pensieve thing, I guess she thought it was the best way to pass on that crucial info without being infodumpy or boring...but I agree that there may have been a better time to do it, but I don't know...I still loved it though. :D [/spoiler]

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:08 am
Poor Imp says...

Meshugenah wrote:[spoiler]I have to agree about the epiolgue, but I can see what it was necessary.

Ok, what confused me? Wasn't Harry named Teddy's godfather? Then why wasn't Teddy with the Potters? Unless I missed something (I just finished, and haven't re-checked anything yet...), WHAT? But goodness. Remus AND Tonks! *sniffle* I loved those two...

The whole bringing-half-his-family-back bit at the end before Voldy tried to kill him the first time was just weird. I mean, it made sense, but.. gah. That bugged me. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]Oy, but surely dear Teddy ended up living with his grandmother, Andromeda?[/spoiler]
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:16 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Meshugenah wrote:[spoiler]I have to agree about the epiolgue, but I can see what it was necessary.

To answer your question...

[spoiler]If my memory serves me right Andromeda was still alive, thus she probably, being the closest blood relative still alive, would have brought him up.

Gah, I loved Ted Tonks. New favorite HP characters. "That's my wife your screaming at."

And Lupin and Tonks, I cried. I have to read the part where Harry see's them dead a few times before I actually believed it. I love the part when Lupin comes to Shell cottage and asks Harry to be Teddy's godfather, and is talking about Teddy's hair changing and all. That was adorable.

Also, it took me two times to figure out who the hell Victoire was.

And Fred, that was sad.

Yeah, I don't think I'll get over all the deaths she put us through, not really. The one thing that bothered me was not knowing exactly how Lupin and Tonks died. Oh well.

Teddy Lupin being a pseudo-sex-god made me laugh.[/spoiler]
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:43 pm
norm91 says...

My whole post is going to contain spoilers, so I'd better just put the alerts all right at the start.... :wink:

[spoiler]Well JK Rowling said that there would be a death of a main character at the end of the book, everybody felt that meant either Harry, Ron or Hermione would die. However, people who are disappointed that none of them died were probably taken in by this expansion of the truth. Snape was a main character, and Voldemort was, effectively, a bigger character than both Ron and Hermione so his was the "main character death" at the end of the book.

I was disappointed that he died due to a rebound of his own curse... would have prefered Harry to have done the honours.

I really enjoyed the book, and felt that the epilogue was a bit "happy ever after" but that doesn't mean that it was bad! One problem I have with the books, though, is that all the witches and wizards always seem to spend the rest of their lives with their partner from school - and in real life that just doesn't happen.

I had 2 theories:-
1) Snape would turn out to be good. I had thought that he'd be the one to kill Voldemort, thus saving Harry. Although that never happened it was still proven to be correct... he was a good guy after all.

2) Harry, himself, would be a horcrux... I thought this due to the fact he and Voldemort were 'twined' and he could see into his mind. This proved to be correct. However, another reservation I have is... when the ring, the locket, the snake, the cup and the diadem were destroyed they were ruined beyond repair. So when Harry, the final horcrux was effectively "destroyed" - he returned intact moments later.[/spoiler]
My upcoming novel/short story...

"Regrets" (Working title)

A man who keeps one eye on the past may learn from his mistakes, but a man who keeps both eyes directed to the past is blind.

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:58 pm
Muse says...

I seem to remember the first three books being only softback when they were first released, and Goblet of Fire was the first to be released in hardback.

Nope, the 3rd one was DEFINITELY first released in hardback, and i have Philosophers Stone in hardback...which i've had since i was like 8 (but i dont actually know if its the first edition..)

[spoiler]Was Victoire Bill and Fleur's daughter? In the Epilogue, I really wanted to find out what they all worked as.....not so much if they had children and stuff. And about what happened after Voldemort's fall. :(
I thought it was cool that Neville became professor of Herbology though.

Im still confused about how Harry was "destroyed". I might have to re-read that part. [/spoiler]
"Sometimes we see a cloud that's dragonish,
A vapour sometimes like a bear or lion,
A towered citadel, a pendant rock,
A forked mountain, or blue promontory,
With trees upon't that nod unto the world,And mock our eyes with air.."

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:45 pm
thewonderworldofnight says...

[spoiler]Yeah, I know, the whole not saying who Victoire's parents are bugged me so much!!! I never thought about the possibility of her parents being Bill and Fleur, but that would make sense...[/spoiler]

Cheers!

~Deoris
'"Many years ago, when I was young, I saw a fire, and what looked like death-- and beyond that, in the dark places, something...or some One, who knew me. Shall I at last find my way back to that wonderworld of Night?"'

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:13 pm
ennui says...

[spoiler]I'm pretty sure Victoire is Bill & Fleur's daughter- it would explain why she's their cousin, and her French name indicates who her parents are as well.

However, another reservation I have is... when the ring, the locket, the snake, the cup and the diadem were destroyed they were ruined beyond repair. So when Harry, the final horcrux was effectively "destroyed" - he returned intact moments later.

I completely agree, I mean- it seems too perfect. I'll have to re-read that part again to be sure, but that's definately a question I'd like JK to answer. If it were the fact that Harry was alive (versus the locket, cup, & diadem) it would have made killing Nagini so much easier.

[/spoiler]

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:20 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Jiggity wrote:[spoiler]I think that the only clunky part to the book, and the bit that confused me the most, was when Harry went into the pensieve. Now bear with me on this; he's in the middle of a massive magical siege, he has very little time in which to find an object with which he could come closer to destroying Voldemort; meanwhile Ron and Hermoine are missing and people are dying. So what does he do? He dives into the penseive?! What the hell?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]But they weren't in the middle of fighting, and Ron and Hermione weren't lost, when Harry dived into the pensieve. It was the period of an hour which Voldy had given Harry to surrender himself. They were tending to the wounded in the Great Hall, and Ron and Hermione were there.[/spoiler]
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:53 pm
Pushca says...

Meshugenah wrote:[spoiler] Ok, what confused me? Wasn't Harry named Teddy's godfather? Then why wasn't Teddy with the Potters?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]He was 19 at that point, so there wouldn't be any reason for him to be.[/spoiler]
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:56 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

[spoiler]Does anyone have the desire to know which character got a reprieve? I have a feeling that Lupin and Tonks may have been the unlucky two to have their fates changed (of course I may be, and it is likely, that I'm wrong), but who was saved. At the moment I'm leaning towards Hagrid. Any other ideas?[/spoiler]
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:17 pm
Wiggy says...

[spoiler]ZOMG that was the best book ever! I didn't cry, but I just sat there staring at the page, reading the line about Fred dying over and over. Fred...Lupin...Tonks...I think Rowling did the think about Lupin and Tonks because she (a.) wanted to provide material for a sequel in which Teddy would be the hero like HP (unlikely lol) or (b.) to show that sadness can still happen in a world where the main source of evil has been destroyed. I don't know. I'm tired, and I'm just theorizing, but golly geez that book was good.

It's the first book (besides Gone with the Wind) that I almost cried on.

I want Dobby and Fred and Hedwig and Dumbledore and Snape and Tonks and Lupin and everyone back! I loved them like they were my own...

Ah well. Beautiful book!

And in the words of J.K. Rowling: All is well.[/spoiler]

That book rocked.
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:20 am
Cade says...

*cries*
I feel like I've lost a best friend.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:40 am
Meshugenah says...

[spoiler]XD Puscha, yeah. I realised that after I posted. :roll: Smart, I be.

But I still loved it!

And I know who got the reprive -- check Mugglenet, they have it on the site. [/spoiler]
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:18 am
Alainna says...

Argh, I finished yesterday.

[spoiler]From the moment Fred died onwards I cried. it is the only HP book to reduce me to the state of crying where you are actually on the verge of hyperventilating. (Maybe that's just my PMT, I dunno........)
Then when she killed Lupin and Tonks!!!!!!!! Noooooooo
But Dobby....how could she?? I loved Dobby. *Starts to cry again*

The ending was a bit crap though. Too happily ever after. And the last line was rubbish. If she had kinda ended after chapter 36 it would have been a brilliant book. I suppose she had to put that in afterwards to make sure she wouldn't have to write any more HP. To end it for good...

I feel soo empty today. HP was always my break from all other books and now it's over.

And finally I would like to say a massive I TOLD YOU SO to all those who contradicted my original idea that Harry was a Horcrux. I stated it about 2 months ago somewhere in Fic discussion and tips and I was right!!![/spoiler]

Alainna
xxxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

He began to wonder why he had felt uneasy at all. It was like a man wondering in broad daylight why a dream had appeared so terrible to him at night.
— Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart