z

Young Writers Society

Lord of The Rings or Harry Potter?

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:39 am
Bjorn says...

It really is a great, simple, and comedic (is that a word...?)book. And the Hobbit (rather the movie) is what brought me to the LotR, and surprisingly I read it after I had read the LotR-unexpected as it was the Hobbit movie that dragged me into this whole trilogy! it would seem sensible to start with it, but no...
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:08 pm
Araidne says...

Harry Potter all the way. I can't believe what she did with Dumbledore!
Out flew the web, and floated wide,
The mirror cracked from side to side.
'The curse has come upon me' cried
The Lady of Shalott

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:43 pm
zell says...

i like both but i have to say harry potter cause its easier to read and the movie isn't that bad either

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue May 02, 2006 1:30 am
Cassandra says...

Harry Potter, definitely. I've liked it since fourth grade and went to the midnight party at Borders to get Half-Blood Prince. I've tried reading The Hobbit twice, gotten about half way through, and just didn't like it. Oh well. Maybe I'll try again soon. :?
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Sat May 06, 2006 10:09 am
Shine says...

I like to read Harry Potter more than Lotr,cuz the way J.K.Rowling wrote it, its hillarious,making everything realistic.

But in movies I've to say that Lotr is better than HP.
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

126 Reviews

Thu May 11, 2006 2:34 am
Bjorn says...

Interesting...I suppose because Harry Potter is just in that time-period that most of you choosers of it are in. I mean you can all relate to it-it was written more directed at you. The LotR, however, was written by a crabby-old English proffesor who couldn't be understood half the time because he spoke so fast!(Much like my grade 4 teacher...It was he, in fact, that read to the class the Philosophers Stone when it came out, needless to say I became a fan before he finished), with the goal of really, yes continuing the Hobbit, but creating a fantasy world of his dreams, which he cared not whether others liked it or not (well of course it was on a course to outsell the Bible), and in fact being the pessimist he was, thought it wouldn't make it that good to begin with. This is an opinion topic, after all, and all to their opinions. But I stick by it-LotR byfar.^_^
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Thu May 11, 2006 3:14 am
IceCreamMan says...

I think that JK Rowlings writing has no where near as much depth as Tolkein's, which is why it is much more accessible to the average reader. Tolkein created an epic that spans three volumes, whereas Rowling created an easy to relate to story which uses simple language and large print. Its quite obvious why most people prefere Rowling. It is the same with anything like music and writing: the simpler works are more popular with the general population because the simpler the work, the less knowledge (or IQ, I guess that is true also) needed to absorb it, and therefore within the population there will be a larger percentage of people who can enjoy it than enjoy a more complex work such as Tolkein's. I compare this to music because most popular music such as country, pop-punk, emo, and modern rock is almost all laughably simple compared to more complex genre's such as blues, jazz, and classical. I am not making this up either, I am a qualified musician (8 years piano, 2 years clarinet, 2 years saxaphone, 2 years guitar, many many many hours of practice and learning theory).

So, I love Rowling's books, and understand why people prefer them over Tolkein's. I find them much easier to read, and much easier to get instant pleasure out of. But speaking just in terms of literary merit, Tolkein has the upper hand. LOTR set the bar for the fantasy genre, and therefore is a beast to be reconed with. While both stories plots exploit the same cliche (the most unlikely character's becoming heroes), I think that LOTR does it much more realistically, showing much more imperfection in Frodo than is shown in Harry. But they are both great, so why argue. I love to analyze the differences, but when it comes down to it they are completely different. HP is, in many ways, about growing up. LOTR is much more about war and values, and religion as well.

Ah, I could go on forever...

But I wont.

-Jason-
Clementine: This is it, Joel. It’s going to be gone soon.
Joel: I know.
Clementine: What do we do?
Joel: Enjoy it.”
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:44 pm
Prosithion says...

oh, LOTR DEfinitely. HP was as lame as they come, but LOTR was Epic.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:46 pm
Poor Imp says...

'Tis truth. Tolkien is literary, in the most profound sense. Rowling is entertaining. They really needn't be compared. Their aim is different; unless you intend to compare aims, in which case Tolkien wins out on that as well.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:58 pm
Prosithion says...

well said, Imp
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:38 am
Swires says...

The LOTR Movies were half baked crap which were better than the raw crap books. THe books are drawn out and long winded to the Nth degree, every single page bored me.

The films likewise, they were a waste of 12 hours of my life. They went on and on and on when such alot could be cut.

I am a huge part of the HP fanbase as I am admin of two fairly active rp sites, one custom made on my own space. I am a HP podcaster too. Ive read the books millions of times and have never found a dull moment.

I also love the films but ever since Gambon and Fiennes have come in I have reviewed them harshly.

HP ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:22 am
deleted6 says...

Well i still to manage to read LOTRs the movie was great though. Harry Potter movie are way below that film. The 3rd film was the best the forth the worst the worst. So no idea one older one newer so i'll go equal since Jk Rowling probalby got laot of her ideas from J.R.R Toilken.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:30 pm
Firestarter says...

The LOTR Movies were half baked crap which were better than the raw crap books. THe books are drawn out and long winded to the Nth degree, every single page bored me.

The films likewise, they were a waste of 12 hours of my life. They went on and on and on when such alot could be cut.

I am a huge part of the HP fanbase as I am admin of two fairly active rp sites, one custom made on my own space. I am a HP podcaster too. Ive read the books millions of times and have never found a dull moment.

Alas -- another person who values excitement over quality. The Harry Potter books are good, no doubt, and the movies are average affairs, who struggle to put across the same ideas that run through the books.

I'm curious as to how you think the LOTR films are so bad -- they're without doubt amazing creations. The cinematography is absolutely awesome.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:41 pm
you_really_suck says...

i personally like LOTR better
i like the more complicated books i guess
HP isn't my type of book i guess
Meat is Murder

126 Reviews

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:42 am
Bjorn says...

Phorcys wrote:The LOTR Movies were half baked crap which were better than the raw crap books. THe books are drawn out and long winded to the Nth degree, every single page bored me.

I also love the films but ever since Gambon and Fiennes have come in I have reviewed them harshly.

HP ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....Wow :? I don't know whether to laugh, cry, throw a fit...nah, I think I'll just stare in amazement :shock:

If you don't know where you're going, any road'll take you there.
— George Harrison