z

Young Writers Society

Eragon

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:33 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Sureal wrote:Well, the series has its own Wikia.

When people started to read Paolini's books, many critisized the plot plans. People claimed that this book was to much like earthsea books(refering to Ancient Language), and Brom was too much like Obi-wan from star wars. These critisims were not nessesary, for some books are the same. If some books were not the same, then people would not find as many books that they liked. Take for example, Earthsea. If you like Earthsea, then you most likely will like Paolini's inheritence trilogy. If you like inheritence, then you'll probably like Earthsea.

- http://inheritance.wikia.com/wiki/Inheritance_trilogy

Yeah, I might take their point more seriously if they knew how to use correct grammar. XD

:snort: I wouldn't take them seriously if they knew how to spell correctly. I pasted it into word- typos out the wazoo. Seriously, people.
ohmeohmy

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:11 pm
Sponson Light says...

Dwarves in mountains? Doesn't everything use that now-a-days?
Warhammer, Warcraft, and DnD to name a few.

Maybe the Dwarves of Ord in Warmachine may be a bit different, as they don't live in mountains and don't have shaggy beards.

And Elves being tall and wonderful, while they may have been short and stubby in the old days, Tokein's version changed all that.

If we wanted a different version of an elf, we wouldnt ta call them elves anymore.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:42 pm
Sureal says...

Leaf Dwarfs.
I wrote the above just for you.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:41 pm
snap says...

KazSmurf wrote:
snap wrote:Like I said, I honestly think most people that DID like the books liked them because the characters were well drawn, and were identifiable. That's what I think, anyway.

But, in all honesty, I didn't find any of them well drawn, or identifiable. Eragon was just a brat, totally flawless. Paolini thinks he's a brilliant writer, but he can't make a believable main character. He's so damn "noble" you really wouldn't think twice about whacking him round the head with his own book. Brom's boring, we don't really see that much of Arya, although we know she's another "perfect" character. Murtagh (sp?) is perhaps the only well thought out character in there.

Well, I guess we all have our different opinions :) Again, I think we read things differently because we ARE writers. I say this only because I have experienced it in other areas of life. I'll give an example: I'm a magician. I can't watch a magic show without thinking of how the tricks work, or, if I don't know, puzzling over it. I'll bet most of you have heard of David Blaine, and, I'll bet, somewhat enjoy his work. I hate him. I don't like his presentation, his persona, and some of the....er....methods he uses. I think we analyze things from a writer's standpoint, and that's why most of us don't like him. Just my two cents. :)
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed May 02, 2007 6:31 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

snap wrote:I think we analyze things from a writer's standpoint, and that's why most of us don't like him.

I agree with you fully, that as writers ourselves, and especially being members of this site, we tend to read things differently. Eragon was, I think, the first book I read after I joined this site, and did loads of critiquing and stuff, and it was impossible for me to stop thinking of it as a very long critique. I kept on thinking of the bits I would change, about that sentence with the bad grammar, that awkwardly phrased paragraph. Needless to say, I feel this contributed to my dislike for the book.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Wed May 02, 2007 11:39 pm
BrokenSword says...

I was watching this video on Amazon of Paolini talking about eldest and where he gets his "inspirations" from. He talks about how living in Paradise Valley "made" Eragon and Eldest, and, though the place he lives in is gorgeous, he doesn't even describe these surroundings in his books. He occasionally gives some vauge descriptions, but nothing else. Again, I think he has trouble giving details and describing.

Maybe he should come to YWS and actually learn some tips from good young writers.

280 Reviews

Wed May 02, 2007 11:45 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

:grins at Broken Sword's post:

Actually, I think that Paolini does give details, just in the wrong places and about the wrong characters.
ohmeohmy

79 Reviews

Thu May 03, 2007 6:22 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I just watched that video. He seems to be taking lines directly out of Tolkein:
"You have to smell the trees, feel the moss under your feet..."
How strange that he was wearing shoes.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

280 Reviews

Thu May 03, 2007 6:23 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

LOL. Well, he is the one who coined the idiot phrase, "Characters are born out of necessity", aye? :lol:
ohmeohmy

79 Reviews

Thu May 03, 2007 6:29 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Did he say that? Well, I'm just glad I don't take a word he says seriously. He's also responsible for the quote:

I have visions of lizards. Not just little rock lizards, or even something as big as an alligator, no – I see gigantic, majestic flying dragons. I have visions of them all the time, whether in the shower, sitting on the couch or riding in the car. The problem with seeing dragons is that they tend to take over your mind. And once that happens, you can go a little crazy. Which is probably why I became a published author at eighteen.

How modest.
Last edited by Cpt. Smurf on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Stewie Griffin

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Thu May 03, 2007 9:27 pm
sokool15 says...

I didn't absolutely hate Eragon...and you have to admit, he was very young when he sketched out the plot, and probably still in the middle of reading all those books - Star Wars, LOTR, etc, as he sketched out the plot. I think he's got a definite talent for writing.

My dad says that nothing is new under the sun...and he's right *for once. heh heh* Everything has been written before. No plot has not been written. You just have to find a new way to present it. Paolini didn't do a very good job of disguising his influences, that's all.

I'll have to admit, even for a stereotype, I really liked Brom. Especially in the movie. He was funny. *kill me if you can!*

Yours I remain, 8)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Fri May 25, 2007 4:11 am
Samara says...

i wasn't crazy about Eragon. yes, it was cliche. Eragon as a character made me want to hit him with a baseball bat. Murtagh should have been the hero, Eragon was a whiny brat who wanted his way all the time. Saphira was...well...ok. but she was pretty whiny too. and...um...Brom was cool.

end rant.
"I can't stand him. His ego is splattered all over that screen and it's making me nauseous."
~Me referring to Ashton Kutcher.

"I think the dragon should eat him."
~My boyfriend referring to Eragon

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:59 pm
Fan says...

I think Paolini needs to take a course in medieval warfare. Here are the reasons:

1.Silver and gold does NOT make good armour in any case (Unless of course, it's magic, but Eragon's was definately not I think.)

2. 100,000 vs. 10,000(?) slightly ridiculous odds maybe? And if you are outnumbered so, why leave the defences you have just created?

3. The cry 'the dwarves are coming! The dwarves are coming!' dounds slightly familiar (just read return of the king beforehand).

79 Reviews

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:54 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

He gave them gold armor? I really can't remember what type of armor it was he was given, but really, gold? He must be the biggest idiot alive.

~Stewie Griffin

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:27 pm
Ofour says...

"He gave them gold armor? I really can't remember what type of armor it was he was given, but really, gold? He must be the biggest idiot alive." - gee, it's corrosion resistant, he won't get hurt if you throw sulphuric acid at him... some people
ln(-a)=i(pi) + lna

Act in the valley so that you need not fear those who stand on the hill.
— Danish proverb