2%
I have to admit I tried
2%

Total votes : 44

Random avatar

Reviews: 91
Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:49 am
Nox says...

I have to agree with Djinni, I liked Macbeth but didn't like Romeo and Juliet.
In all the time we have
There is never enough time
To show what is in our heart.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:21 pm
Fool says...

I've read MacBeth and Romeo and Juliet, both for english in the same year *dies* it was hard going and hard reading, but once you get past the language it's such a good story and there's a lot you can say about it, (hence why i spent half of year 10 writing essays) I really enjoyed them, but they haven't made me want to pick up another one of his plays.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

I don't suffer from stress. I am a carrier.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:39 pm
Beethoven says...

Much Ado About Nothing and The Twelve Night are my favorites, though I do like several others.
I saw the former in theatre at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. So hilarious.

And I think Romeo and Juliet is so overdone. It isn't that romantic, people. >.>
Your existence is overbearing.

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:44 pm
Bjorn says...

They're good, but I prefer them when acted out. For that's what they were originally intended for no? The language can be confusing, but a read through again and again, can get one used to it.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:28 am
Melodie says...

I read Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, and Julius Ceasar. I read R&J in ninth grade and our english teacher had us rewrite the first scene of the first act into modern day terms. We had the freedom to change all the situations and places in any way we wanted as long as the same theme was present. I had a lot of fun with mine. I always wanted to do the whole thing and convert it from stageplay to screenplay but I never did.
Macbeth and Julius Ceasar were alright but the english teacher I had those ones with didn't let us get anywhere near as into them.
"Sorry I didn't recognize you. I've changed a lot." Oscar Wilde

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:09 am
zelithon says...

I love Shakespeare.
"all the worlds a stage..."
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

Random avatar

Reviews: 71
Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:07 am
Nis says...

The only Shakespeare I liked was A Midsummer Night's Dream and Twelfth Night.

I hate Romeo and Juliet! *dies*

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:59 am
Whatsarahsaid says...

I've read romeo and J last year and have just finished Macbeth in English class. I prefer Macbeth because it's grittier and nastier language.
Alice♥
"stay up all night with the stars."

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:54 pm
Rei says...

Yeah, it's really funny how much disguised swearing there is in his plays.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:24 pm
Areida says...

It's funny when you think about a lot of books censured from kids high school and below, and yet they still read Shakespeare. He was so bawdy.

I've read Hamlet, MacBeth, parts of Romeo and Juliet and Julius Caesar. MacBeth is my favourite of his so far; it's such a great story.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:43 pm
thegirlwhofateloves says...

I haven't read Julius Cesear - I read most of his work though.
I really didn't like Hamlet...I found it really quite odd, and in the same kind of vein as Macbeth, except I liked that.
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:24 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

I've almost read through the gamut of his plays or atleast the ones in my Works of Shakespeare edition. My favorites would have to be Macbeth, Taming of the Shrew, Julius Caeser, Hamlet, Much Ado About Nothing, The Merchant of Venice, Merry Wives of Windsor, Othello, Richard III, and The Tempest.

Romeo and Juliet is destested because a. it's part of the school circulum, I had to read it twice for class, once in 5th grade, the other freshmen year; and b. not many people want to sit and disect something for class, especially as a freshman, I know I totally tuned out. Plus Romeo and Juliet isn't one of his best plays in my opinion, and it's over done, pounded into kid's heads everywhere. But I have to say Mercutio's monologue about Queen Mab is some good stuff.

If I had to pick an absolute favorite it would be Much Ado About Nothing, the word-play in it is amazing. Shakespeare was a true wordsmith; true he borrowed from classic greek and roman plays, and when he found a template that worked he used it over and over again. It is also very interesting to see the effect of monarchy on his works. Almost each play ends with the ruler (king, prince, duke...) cleaning up the mess, and putting everything right again.

On another note, has anyone here seen The Reduced Shakespeare Company? :D
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:08 pm
Areida says...

I've seen clips. It's great! :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:10 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

I have it on tape somewheres...

"Adam, why do you think every women in Shakesphere wears hideously ugly wigs, and barfs everywhere?" (paraphrased from The Reduced Shakespeare Company's The Complete Works of William Shakespeare)
Last edited by Caligula's Launderette on Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:20 am
Fishr says...

I've only read two Shakespeare plays. Between R&J and A Midsummer's Night Dream; Midsummer's Night's Dream was ten times better. It's an awesome story by far but it's been a long time since I've read it. The only thing that stands out in my head is when a fairy(I think)changes a guys head into a donkey, lol. And he's completely unaware of it.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

Pigeon poop is the best way to solve problems.
— Pompadour