z

Young Writers Society

The Classics- Recommendations

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:23 pm
Melodie says...

I'd recommend Picture of Dorian Grey, for that matter I'd recommend anything my Oscar Wilde. The Importance of Being Ernest is great. It's a play though. I don't know if that counts in your English class. Also one of my favorites is The Iliad. Not a big fan of The Odyssey though.
I love Peter Pan and Treasure Island is awesome too.
"Sorry I didn't recognize you. I've changed a lot." Oscar Wilde

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:38 am
Areida says...

I know what you mean. I read both the Iliad and the Odyssey in eighth grade for my Omnibus class (Antiquity), and though the Iliad was definitely more difficult, I ended up liking it better. I suppose it just seemed less contrived, but that might just be me.

Besides that, I didn't really like Odysseus as much as Homer truly intended me too. He was pretty sneaky, if you know what I mean. Plus I love Hektor and I was still ticked off that he'd died. *shrug*

Both are worth the reading, though.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:41 am
Duskglimmer says...

areida07 wrote:The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexander Dumas (Dry at times, but it only took me about a week to get through reading kind of slowly)

I have this feeling that you read an abridged version since the most complete version (I'm still not sure whether it IS the complete version) is 1542 pages, and if you read that in a week reading it slowly I'm impressed! But if anyone gets thier hands on the full version, read it! It's really quite funny.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

26 Reviews

Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:45 pm
Melodie says...

Areida, I know exactly what you mean about Odysseus. I didn't like him at all. I thought his character was tricky and decietful. My favorite is Achilles. I think his character is awesome.

Reviews: 3
Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:33 am
alcina says...

Melodie, I love anything by Oscar Wilde, he's one of my favourite writers.

The Iliad was awesome, I loved it. I'm in middle of The Aeneid, I don't really like it. But its for class so it must be read, *sigh*. I'll pull through it.

Random avatar

Reviews: 57
Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:33 pm
Nefer says...

My favourites include:

Nicholas Nickleby - Charles Dickens
Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
Wuthering heights - Emily Brontë

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:22 pm
DarkerSarah says...

Triona! It excites me so much that you put down Anna Karenina! It's the best book I've ever read, period. Loved it, loved it. Some consider it the greatest novel ever written, and if you don't believe me, look it up on the internet! It's fabulous. Really long, though. It took me about 6 months to get through it.

Wuthering Heights is good and so is Vanity Fair by Thackery, but it really doesn't get that much attention.

-Sarah
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:58 am
Areida says...

Melodie wrote:Areida, I know exactly what you mean about Odysseus. I didn't like him at all. I thought his character was tricky and decietful. My favorite is Achilles. I think his character is awesome.

Achilles? Meh. He was always running to his mommy to gripe. I love Hektor and I was pretty fond of Diomedes too.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

Random avatar

Reviews: 57
Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:24 am
Nefer says...

I never liked Greek mythology but I enjoyed reading Odysseus.

26 Reviews

Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:21 pm
Melodie says...

areida07 wrote:
Melodie wrote:Areida, I know exactly what you mean about Odysseus. I didn't like him at all. I thought his character was tricky and decietful. My favorite is Achilles. I think his character is awesome.

Achilles? Meh. He was always running to his mommy to gripe. I love Hektor and I was pretty fond of Diomedes too.

True, he does do a bit of that. But I love him anyway. Hektor is ok, a close second for me. Diomedes? He seemed to me to be just Odysseus's partner in crime.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:20 am
zelithon says...

I love classics! read the princess bride. I know it sounds girly but it is definetly not. It is only girly in name.
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:22 am
Sam says...

Ooh, the Princess Bride is pretty cool. I've only read the first few chapters but...ah vell. Cool book.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:16 am
Snoink says...

:shock:

Odysseus is awesome! Deceitful, yes, and he does do lots of stupid things, but look at his character! He's loved by his servants - always a good trait. He is loyal to his wife (yes, he goes on several sexual escapades, but he always wants to return to her, and most of the time he's just lost, trying to get back home and doing everything he can to get back home. He's lost everything. He just wants to go home.

I love him... so human, so heroic. I've based one of my best characters off him. ^_^;;
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:18 am
zelithon says...

Are you talking anout Westly? I love everything about him but his name. But if you read buttercup's baby you know he is inecent in most sexual aspects.
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:23 am
Snoink says...

Oh no... Odysseus. Completely different guy. And he went around quite a bit...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.
— Alvin Toffler