z

Young Writers Society

Terry Pratchet

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:49 pm
zelithon says...

Has anyone read his other series? Besides truckers ect. and discworld?
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:53 pm
Rincewind says...

which series to do you speak of?
there are only:
The Bromeliad <--Truckers, Diggers, Wings
The Johnny MAxwell Series
and the Wee Free Men books (2).

Other wise its just Discworld and one or two books which are similar but not set on discworld.
~The bandit’s body slumped to the ground, knees hitting first,followed by the rest.His dead weight pushed dust into the air in a swirling cloud.The blood flowed from his head,splicing like river canals,delaying slightly on pebbles before flowing on through the street.~

241 Reviews

Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:16 am
zelithon says...

The Johny maxwell series. How is that? What other ones are not on discworld. oh and the wee free men does not downright say it, but it is on discworld. Overlaping characters.
-Dr.Suess

badonkadonk

241 Reviews

Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:50 am
zelithon says...

The book Thud! just came out! I am soooooo reading it and getting it for christmas.
-Dr.Suess

badonkadonk

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:20 pm
Jojo says...

I just read the first 12 pages of 'Men At Arms' of the Discworld Series and felt that he is one of the most capable humorous authors of all time. I feel he's a grossly underrated author because no one except my brother knows about Terry Pratchett in my family.
The Football Freak.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:57 pm
Myth says...

We all know who he is in my family, my parents don't like him because his Discworld books have 'disgusting drawings'.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:59 pm
Jojo says...

Indeed, the drawings on the cover are very misleadingly horrid and not at all funny.
The Football Freak.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:04 pm
Myth says...

I really like some of them and have brought most of the Discworld series.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:16 pm
Habbisham says...

I love Terry Pratchett, I think his Discworld novels are well written and very humourous. They can get confusing if you've only just started reading them because even though they dont have a chronical order they can follow on from one another and overlap the characters and sometimes that takes some time to get into.

I think Truckers, Diggers and Wings are amazing books. Def my favourite from Pratchett.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:22 pm
Sureal says...

Jojo wrote:I feel he's a grossly underrated author because no one except my brother knows about Terry Pratchett in my family.

Underated :?? All of his latest books have reached number one bestseller, and his is the number two bestselling Brit (just behind Rowling, although he still holds of being the most shoplifted author ;)). He has also been appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire for services to literature ("I suspect the 'services to literature' consisted of refraining from trying to write any.").
I wrote the above just for you.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:50 am
Swires says...

Im with Firestarter, I just could not get into Going Postal from discworld books ar all. And they arnt that funny
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:07 am
Elelel says...

Has anyone read Monstrous Regiment or Night Watch? They're my favourites, I think. If you don't count the Bromeliad Triliogy. When I first read them they were the best things I had ever read.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

Reviews: 2
Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:53 pm
Binky says...

Amusingly enough, Going Postal is likely my favourite of his books, although I like all the little quirky "one-shotters" he does, I'm unsure whether I only take to those books because I've long been indoctrinated into the Discworld er... World, and therefore enjoy the weirdness and change of perspectives, yet still being within the world.

Thief of Time as well, another great book with characters created solely for it, yet within the Discworld continuum.

EDIT: Ah yers, Binky comes from Discworld, Binky being Death's horse.
~ I swear I didn't bring it home ~

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:49 am
Sohini says...

I just read "Men at Arms" (thanks to Jojo)
i think it was awesomely amusing-what a grand writing style. i love Pratchett's humour and i want to read more
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:16 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Totally with you, Sohini. Terry Pratchett rocks!!! But I'm not qute as...defensive of him as certain other authors here. He's a great writer, and if people don't agree with that, well then, they're the ones missing out on some great material. He's a big boy, he can take care of himself.
The first book I read in the Discworld was Going Postal. Actually, my family and I listened to it on one of our absurdly-long car trips. At the time, we didn't really know what we were in for. It started off...normally enough, and then, out of nowhere: Mr. Pump! And yeah, the rest is history. I really love his stuff, though I don't read the Witches books or most of the earlier ones with Rincewind (though I do love the luggage). My favorites of his are the Watch books (most notably Night Watch and The Fifth Elephant) and the Death books (Soul Music and Hogfather are fantastic!).
So, yeah, there you have it.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

As the notifications drift in I stop and wonder. Why do they take so long? Do they have adventures we don't know about? I bet they do. When they come I will ask myself. What amazing adventure has this straggling notification been on? How far did it travel, and why didn't it take me?
— TypoWithoutCoffee