Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:53 pm
Leja says...

Hah, excellent books?

yesh; the above is definitely sarcasm ^_^

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:14 pm
alleycat13 says...

I typically don't like to bash books, but this series so deserves it. They're poorly written, totally cliche, and the characters are all Mary/Marty Sues.

Eragon was okay. I liked Brom. The movie was nothing like the book, but it still sucked. The animation was neat, but, again, the only character I liked was Brom (go Jeremy Irons!).

Eldest? It made me gag. I cannot believe I actually finished that story with my sanity intact. The whole Eragon loves Arya thing made me disgusted. The dialogue...oh my goodness... :shock: And the deus ex machina with Oromis and Murtagh? Please, give me a break!!!!

There are millions of novels within the heads of unpublished writers that wipe the floor with this series, and thousands of published books that abuse it to nonexistence.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:00 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

hey, leave her alone, if she wants to like the Inheritance series, she can like the series.

I like them, sort of, although there are bits that were annoying. Like how Eragon was magically healed in the second one. GRRRRR!!! he was so much nicer when he was crippled!!!
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

99 Reviews

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:12 am
alleycat13 says...

hey, leave her alone, if she wants to like the Inheritance series, she can like the series.

Oh, by all means, like them. I'm just letting you know that I don't.

I like them, sort of, although there are bits that were annoying. Like how Eragon was magically healed in the second one. GRRRRR!!! he was so much nicer when he was crippled!!!

That's a deus ex machina. Someone's in trouble and suddenly, pop, the solution appears without any prior mention. Once is okay in a good book, but several times in a poorly written one? It's a cop-out from actually writing.

But, I digress... like them if you wish.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.

Got YWS?

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:23 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

oh yeah. "deus ex machina". that was a vocabulary word a while back. I wonder if Mrs. G would give me extra credit if I printed out this conversation? you mind alleycat? :D
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

99 Reviews

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:03 pm
alleycat13 says...

If it'll help you, go for it. :D

Got YWS?

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:20 pm
Saphira says...

The first time i read the books i thought that they were amazing. I was hooked throughout the first book but i did find the middle od Eldest not very interesting. Then i joined YWS. Everyone recognised my name and gave me some of their views on Eragon. I then re read the books and realised what they were on about. They seem extremely ripped off from star wars and LOTR but they are still an easy read.

There are definatly better books out there!
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:08 am
Firestalker says...

of course there are better books out there. Who the hell would think Eldest and Eragon where and are the best books in the world. Use your brains. (just kidding) hehehehe
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:32 pm
bookworm201 says...

they're the books you read if you just want to read- like chewing bubble gum. It won't fill you up, but at least it gets your mind off of food/reading.

I read them becasue my friend recommended them. Last time I tooka recommendation from her.

I could go on, but I don't want to repeat everyone, so...

It's like reading most young adult stuff out there- not good for you, but not necessarily bad, as long as you don't start inimating them. Just something to read.

Also, it could be compared to watching "What Not to Wear" or reading the Theban Plays. It's horrible, but you can't turn away.
"reading one book is like eating one potato chip."
-diane duane in so you want to be a wizard
[url=secondday.proboards.com]best rpg ever[/url]

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:37 am
Cpt. Smurf says...

OK, I've just started reading Eldest (it's some free thing on the internet - no way would I pay to read this drivel) and in the very first paragraph I read this:

'[...]listening to the keening of women who removed loved ones[...]'

'Keening'? WTF? A) This is supposed to be a children's book - what child knows what 'keening' means? B) Even if it wasn't a children's book, what adult knows what 'keening' means? The rumours are true - Paolini's fondness for the thesaurus really did grow between writing the two books.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:41 pm
Sureal says...

I didn't know what it meant, but then wikipedia told me:

Keening is a form of vocal lament associated with mourning that is traditional in Scotland and Ireland.

What an unsual word choice. Does the fantasy world in the series have much to do with Scotland or Ireland, or do you think Paolini just looked 'mourning' up in a theasarus and chose the most obscure entry?
I wrote the above just for you.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:00 pm
Fan says...

Maybe he thought fancy words would make up for his lack of talent...

The lack of accuracy in Inheritance sometimes disgusts me. For example, why the hell is there a huge desert slap bang next to a country the size of Italy which has a moderate climate? And why does it just fill the centre? It's like he though "c£@p, I need a desert, otherwise it can't be awesome fantasy!"

Plus, his battle scene in Eldest has so many things wrong with it, one being Eragon has armour with gold on it, I think.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:27 pm
StellaThomas says...

Keening isn't that uncommon the word, just to tell you. I've used it in my own stories, and I certainly don't write with a thesaurus next to me. It's a way to sing that originated in the West and in Scotland, you sing from your stomach. Generally it's only women that can do it. It's supposed to sound like the banshee's cry. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying that just because you haven't heard a word doesn't mean it's obscure, I've had to come to terms with that myself.

I do read these books, but I know what someone means when they're using the chewing gum metaphor. It's when you're between books and you need something to read. The plot of the first one wasn't half bad, but the second one left much to be desired. Like, Murtagh disappeared in the first chapter to return with a dragon? Please. What was that, deus ex machina? Yes indeed. It was just plain annoying. It was as if Paolini goes "I'm a bestselling author, now I can do whatever I like." and wrote that book.

And we went to see the movie which I won't even start on. But in the beginning minutes, Dad, who's never read the book goes "You mean to say that he lives with his uncle until his uncle's house is burnt down? So he goes exploring with that mysterious old man who's always lived close by?No, we haven't heard that one before. Is Darth Vader his father, by any chance?" and it was true.

Leaving the plot aside, the prose is quite painful at some points. To tell the truth, anyone who's read LOTR can say the same thing about it, but at least it had a story, a brilliant one in fact. This is just sorta... floppy.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:53 pm
Sureal says...

I'm sorry, but keening is a practice that appeared in only two small countries (Scotland and Ireland) and is now extinct. In my opinion, that is the very definition of 'obscure'.
I wrote the above just for you.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:54 pm
Aedomir says...

I HATE Paolini. He's vain, thinks he is better than Tolkien and a complet copier of him. I really hate him. I bought Eragon, read the first chapter and put it away. The plot is terrble... I mean... Drawgon riders? WTH!!!!!!!

Tolkien is the best writer in history, really!
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

I know where the wall goes.
— Creed, the Office