z

Young Writers Society

Brisingr (Eragon 3) Spoiler

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:47 pm
Firestalker says...

Hey cant say the books bad until i read it. So i still rest my case.
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
WrittenSoul says...

Debating aside, can I direct any one's attention to the fact that Paolini first said that his books were going to be a trilogy? Needless to say, a trilogy has three books, not more than three...which, now his Inheritance cycle completely killed and dismembered the whole trilogy thing. Plus, there's the fact that he's a completely arrogant, um, for want of a better word person, and he's only famous because he wrote something when he was, what, like 16?

(This is the media talking now)M: Ooooh, wait a second! Now there's an idea! A 16 year old, write a book?? That's, like, so genius! Why don't we take his completely arrogant ideas and publish them so we can make a bunch of money?

(And this is me)WS: Hey, you! Media! Why don't you get online and look at YWS? We've got people on here who are, like, 13, 14, and 15 and can write better than him! Plus, their ideas are genuine, and not taken from Tolkien/Star Wars, etc.

Okay, my little rant is done and over. In case you couldn't tell, I don't much like the Inheritance books. It shames me to admit that I used to like them. Now, sadly, I'm going to skim the new one just to see how it (predictably) turns out...

Random thought here: Since everything in his books are pretty much copied off of Star Wars and Tolkien, maybe Galbatorix has a really big, black mask that he wears and goes around telling new Jedi, erm, sorry, I mean Dragon Riders that he's really their father. Oh, and maybe the dragons and Riders will start going around speaking in odd sentences, they will, saying, "May the Force be with you" and "Dangerous, the Dark Side is". Just a thought.

Okay, I've wasted your time enough already if you managed to read through all of that. Be off with you! :)

P.S. Did anybody else happen to notice that his characters have no personality except ignorant, arrogant, conceited, and I'm-trying-to-be-funny-but-it's-not-working?
"What you learn for yourself, you will know forever."
- Eugenides, A Conspiracy of Kings

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:04 pm
Fishr says...

I couldn't get passed the first five pages of his first book if that's any indication?
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

141 Reviews

Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:33 am
Firestalker says...

yes i did notice that and the fact that their are unpublished authors here that are better than him, excluding me, i don't think I'm good enough in writing :sigh: :( :( :(
--

Reviews: 4
Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:32 am
SaraAnne says...

I read eragon because of Durza.
He was fantastically hot.
And now that Durza is gone, there is no joy in Eragon. Or in any of his strange creations.

Although, sigh, I did read Brisingr. In the vain hope Durza would return.
How long can a horse run for?

141 Reviews

Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:19 pm
Firestalker says...

You have a point there. Was Durza a creation of Poalini's or another copy?
--

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:40 am
Seraphania says...

I'll be honest. I think I'm a better writer than Paoilini. Heck, I know that I'm a better writer. I'm not arrogant; it's a fact. Most of us here are better, or at least original. So his getting pubished is just another reason for me to get published.
Novel Wordcount: 58,001 words

141 Reviews

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:55 pm
Firestalker says...

You got a point there too. But can anyone answer my question?

Was Durza a creation of Poalini's or another copy?
--

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:24 pm
Blink says...

Firestalker wrote:You got a point there too. But can anyone answer my question?

Was Durza a creation of Poalini's or another copy?

Well, the character himself was Paolini's but if you look at it, you can see typical elements. The badguy's second in command, who gets killed at the end of the first book/film. Perhaps Lurtz from the Lord of the Rings? Or even Saruman at a push.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:41 pm
StellaThomas says...

I really couldn't be bothered to buy it, but I have a thing that once I start a series I have to end it. But I just... eurgh. So I'm asking friends about the plot, just so I know what happens.

Basically, could you tell me who dies etc?

I know already that Brom is Eragon's father -what a surprise. And that the old guy dies but the dragon's still all mystically alive.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

243 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:53 pm
Blink says...

Stella--try Wikipedia. It has the plot synopsis. 8)
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:36 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

One other thing: It's really annoying to see a character talk like this:

Thou art a mighty warrior.

and also this:

Define normal.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:20 pm
Blink says...

But thou art a mighty warrior Thunder!

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:30 pm
Seraphania says...

Hah, that made me laugh. :D I checked out the Wikipedia...there're a lot of bad reviews about it, actually....
Novel Wordcount: 58,001 words

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:03 am
thunder_dude7 says...

Young man/woman, is taken away from home, some friend dies, they save someone etc...

Let's see isn't one of these INKHEART...LOTRI...STARWARS....ODYSEUS...MANY OTHER FANTASY/SCIFI STORIES.

True. That's called the "Hero's Journey" archtype. It is also followed by Harry Potter, The Matrix, and The Lion King.

Now, the issue is the details. All those books have details built on them that expand them from the basic archtype. The issue is that the details in Star Wars are also present in Eragon.

Seeing is believing, but feeling is the truth.
— Thomas Fuller