z

Young Writers Society

Worst Book You've Ever Read

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:09 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Edgar Allen Poe haters???? He's a genius!

Niccy! You hated The Messenger? That book was gorgeous!

I hated My Brother Sam is Dead. The end is given away by the title!
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:54 am
Clo says...

I thought of another book in a conversation with someone:

Dancing with an Alien by Mary Logue.

An alien goes to school and tells everyone he's Romanian. Girl falls in love with him. Mentionable scene: Girl and alien are skinny dipping in pond. He wants to tell her he's an alien, so he rips off his adhesive nipples.

...No. I say no to that.
How am I not myself?

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:19 am
niteowl says...

I may have posted this already, but I think the two worst I've read were Engraved in Stone and The Monster's Legacy. I don't remember the authors but Engraved in Stone was just so ridiculous, cheesy, and predictable. As for The Monster's Legacy, it was cliched, boring fantasy. I don't remember it, and I don't think I finished it. That says a lot, because I always finish a book, even if I hate it (luckily those are few and far between).
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:59 pm
Elelel says...

Ok, I was just browsing this thread and my brother wandered in. He read a few posts and got into the spirit of things. I think he has somethings he would like to get of his chest ... so, with no further ado, ladies and gentlemen may I introduce my brother!

MY BROTHER:

Matthew Riley, Seven Ancient Wonders... Where to begin... It is possibly the greatest affront to the english language ever conceived. (And he is Australian! WHY GOD? WHY?). Okay, I exaggerate. But it is very bad. While most writers paint a skilful yet subtle picture Riley attempts, and succeeds, to hit you around the head with his inane plot and dreadful descriptions. He seems to have a personal thesaurus consisting only of words like 'very' and 'absolutely.' To his credit he does not let this slow him down, as he combines his limited lexicon into such brilliant and insightful descriptions as, "It was ancient-- very ancient." He also seems to have an obsession with italics, guns... and laser beams. Also maps. And describing the maps. Even though the map is there on the page.

Of course all this could be forgiven (Well, only if he agreed to emigrate) if it weren't for his appalling research. The book centres heavily on, surprise surprise, seven ancient wonders. Now normally an author would undertake extensive research into the setting of his novel before developing their plot. Riley, on the other hand, seems to have picked up a picture book, had a browse, and started writing. Half the time I felt like shouting 'NO! STOP IT! YOU ARE HURTING THE COLLECTIVE KNOWLEDGE OF MANKIND!'

Do yourself a favour and don't read it. In fact this book should be burned on sight...

Also, Lord of the Rings was a ground breaking work. Some of Tolkiens techniques are a little outdated and yes, sometimes... dull. But you have to remember he virtually invented modern fantasy. Of course by the same token he was indirectly responsible for Eragon... But I forgive him.

Oh and in closing, The Da Vinci Code is... is... words fail me. HOW IS IT AN INTERNATIONAL BEST SELLER? HOW? Plus Dan Brown is rather ignorant. He claims the Priory of Sion is real in the introduction of his book. And it isn't! Why didn't he just aknowldege that he made it all up? WHY? Also his research and conclusions compete with Riley for the Dunce of the year award.

Anyway, goodbye all!

ME AGAIN:

I think he feels better now. He's been trying to get me to read Matthew Riley's book for weeks so that he could have long discussions with someone about how it sucked. I didn't realise he had that much to say ... but whatever. If anyone has any problems with him, I take responsiblity.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:23 pm
Krupp says...

Catcher in the Rye has always been annoying for me to read. Too much complaining from Holden for me to enjoy it. I honestly don't see how it is considered a classic for a kid who whines the entire book.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:58 am
Seraphania says...

These books called Fablehaven. The plot (as Spiderwick-y as it may be) is good, but all the characters speak as though they're walking encyclopedias. It annoyed me to no end.
Novel Wordcount: 58,001 words

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:02 pm
Ducati says...

Krupp wrote:Catcher in the Rye has always been annoying for me to read. Too much complaining from Holden for me to enjoy it. I honestly don't see how it is considered a classic for a kid who whines the entire book.

Some one finally agrees with me. I wrote a whole essay bitching about this book, and even that was surely less annoying than the MC of this overrated piece of junk.
When you look at your life, in a strange new room, maybe drowning soon, is this the start of it all?

7 Reviews

Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:09 pm
Seraphania says...

Darnit, I think we might have to read that for school soon. Now I'm suspicious. I despise whining.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:28 am
View Likes
Krupp says...

Seraphania wrote:Darnit, I think we might have to read that for school soon. Now I'm suspicious. I despise whining.

aye, don't let your teacher tell you it's a great book. You read it and make up your own mind about whether you like it or not. It's about a kid whining his way through life, hating almost everything that exists, and goes about with a very nihilistic attitude. It's just annoying. Nihilism is annoying. I think it's pathetic.

But I will admit there were a few parts that had me laughing, if only because Holden does some really, really stupid, questionable things that will make you crack up...
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:10 pm
Bloo says...

the wind tamer
i did not like the plot and they way it went seemed stupid and the story line very ininteresting

7 Reviews

Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:45 am
Seraphania says...

Krupp wrote:
Seraphania wrote:Darnit, I think we might have to read that for school soon. Now I'm suspicious. I despise whining.

aye, don't let your teacher tell you it's a great book. You read it and make up your own mind about whether you like it or not. It's about a kid whining his way through life, hating almost everything that exists, and goes about with a very nihilistic attitude. It's just annoying. Nihilism is annoying. I think it's pathetic.

But I will admit there were a few parts that had me laughing, if only because Holden does some really, really stupid, questionable things that will make you crack up...

I'll be sure to form my own opinion, thanks. ^^

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:32 am
anti-pop says...

Seraphania wrote:These books called Fablehaven. The plot (as Spiderwick-y as it may be) is good, but all the characters speak as though they're walking encyclopedias. It annoyed me to no end.

Oh, I know! I read those when they first came out. I thought it was pretty well-written but everyone was too freaking smart. Especially the children! The whole time I was thinking: Kids don't actually talk like this or know these things! What is going on?? :shock:

I am saddened to see that a lot of people here don't like Faerie Wars. *sob*

As for a book I absolutely loathe...Crank by Ellen Hopkins. I don't think that needs further explanation.

And I'll just throw A Series of Unfortunate Events out there as well. The plot and suspense was built up for TWELVE books and then....nothing. Absolutely nothing. I cannot tell you how heartbroken I was when I read the last book. *sigh*
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:28 pm
Rosendorn says...

I may or may not have said this, but Ivanhoe. Oh my gosh that was boring! I can't believe that's the book that invented Historical Fiction.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:34 pm
Explosive_Pen says...

Across Five Aprils
Complete torture. I had to read it for school, and I have no idea how I was the one who got the highest score on the test. Haha, I was cursed at for over a month for being the one who brought up the curve.
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:20 pm
Icefire63111 says...

The worst book I've ever read was
Little House On the Prairie
by Laura Ingalls Wilder

I Strongly Disliked....no i DETEST those books. I don't even know why.
My friends and I bought one yesterday...AND BURNED IT.
REVIEWS! IF You Need Them, PM me!
You Can make it all go away
The pain the suffering
The Hurt You Put her through
Let you won't;
You can't
So for every love She knows
Another stich she sews

Go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here.
— Neil Gaiman