Young Writers Society

Uglies

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:11 am
View Likes
McMourning says...

Please, get his name right!
Scott Westerfeld is the author of the Uglies Trilogy. There is no author named Scott Westerfield.
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

227 Reviews

Reviews: 227
Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:26 am
View Likes
Mad says...

Sorry about that - I wasn't sure about the spelling so I just copied it from one of the previous posts.
Sing we for joy and idleness,
Naught else is worth the having. -- Ezra Pound

PM if you're in need of a review.

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:11 pm
View Likes
McMourning says...

It's okay, I wasn't trying to point at you. I know that you aren't the only one who messed up.
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:02 pm
View Likes
_fallingstar_ says...

JCobsesed wrote:
Well, I read all three books in the series and I still don't know if I like it as much as I thought I would. Uglies was undoubtedly the best in the series, but I think it would have done a lot better if Tally hadn't been made pretty and stayed in the Smoke. But that's just my opinion. I also liked that it was like Fahrenheit 451 in that it was questioning society, and I also like that it treated us as we are now as a completely different species. That was awesome.

So to sum it up, I like the theories in the books, if not the books themselves.

Yes, I totally agree. The first book was definitely the best, although in my mind, the third ranks a close second. 'Pretties' was WAY too predictable for my taste.
My high school senior mascot is a dragon. Take that, monkey!

Blackle.com--saving energy one search at a time.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu May 03, 2007 4:21 am
View Likes
Kitkat_1122_ says...

Some of my friends have read Uglies and they said that they were really good and so now I'm just dying to read it...but the list at the library is long so I have to wait to read it.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Fri May 04, 2007 2:46 am
View Likes
Goldenheart says...

I'm in the middle of reading it now. DON'T TELL ME HOW IT ENDS!!!

:D

Goldie
"I hate the word 'Truce'. It means 'Fun's over'." ~My little sister

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Thu May 10, 2007 3:50 pm
View Likes
PerforatedxHearts says...

Uglies was a good book. So was Pretties, and Specials.

But I was disappointed at the overall ending of the trilogy. It could've been resolved more and better.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Sat May 19, 2007 7:12 pm
View Likes
Samara says...

I loved Uglies! Pretties kinda depressed me, just because i felt bad for David and I liked him way better than Zane. but i haven't read Specials yet. my library is dumb and never gets new books until like two years after they've come out. and then they're no longer new, but they pretend they are.
"I can't stand him. His ego is splattered all over that screen and it's making me nauseous."
~Me referring to Ashton Kutcher.

"I think the dragon should eat him."
~My boyfriend referring to Eragon

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Tue May 22, 2007 6:46 pm
View Likes
Lady Pirate says...

I loves these books, Everyones doesn now that the new one: EXTRAS is coming out this fall right? You can check out his websit for details....

Here is the URL for his blog, scoll down to the entry titled: THE CRASH OF 2007, and you can click on EXTRAS in orange....

http://www.scottwesterfeld.com/blog/

It's a pretty cool site, you can look at all of his books, and up coming books.
'My words fly up, my thoughts remain below.
Words without thoughts never to heaven go.'

William Shakespeare
Greatest English dramatist & poet (1564 - 1616)

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:31 am
View Likes
Leja says...

*singsongs* I want to read EXTRAS... :D

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:27 am
kktoday says...

I read Uglies, Pretties, and Specials back to back last fall. I really, really enjoyed them. At first it took me awhile to get into the book.. probably because of the writing style. But once I was in, I loved them. I don't really know which one I liked best. I think the greatest thing about the books for me was watching the way Tally overcame what was done to her. And the ending didn't bother me. I kind of liked it.

I'm excited about Extras. I didn't realize he was writing another one until a week or so ago. My sister told me about it. My understanding was that the series was just a trilogy and therefore, done. But, another one shouldn't hurt. =)
If only you could see
How heaven stills when you speak
I know all your days
And I have wrapped you in mystery
(My Love Hasn't Grown Cold; Bethany Dillon)

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:12 pm
View Likes
snap says...

I've read Uglies and Pretties, and I have Specials, but it's on my to-read list ;) I really enjoyed them all. I like their symbolism and theories, as well as the plot lines. I'm not usually one for futuristic books, but these ones caught me for some reason. I didn't know there was going to be another book in the series, I thought Specials was it. I'll have to check it out. ;)
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:04 pm
KiteRide86 says...

I absolutely adored this book! I'm in the middle of Pretties right now and it is just as exciting!

Okay I loved David! He's so cool! Tally cool, but Shay's way cooler...well until the "end" :wink:

These books; however, confuse me often because of their futuristic words like "pretty-making" and "Crims" and "bubbly." Oh well...I can't wait til David pops up again. He's not in Pretties, yet...but Croy was! Smokies rule!

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:04 pm
omgsh mikey says...

Personally, I didn't like the series very much. I had a hard time getting into the story. I do think that it's very creative. I liked how they referred to our generation as Rusties.
"This band is metal in that we have a lot of metal in our instruments, and there's quite a lot of metal on my belt buckle as well." - Mikey Way

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:20 pm
View Likes
Evangelina says...

It's quite a unique plotline, I'll give it that...
Break the boundaries, hunt the hunter, and leave me a tip.
----to kill or not to kill

Why can't a full plate of food just teleport into my hands?
— WeepingWisteria