z

Young Writers Society

Breaking Dawn

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:50 pm
Alice says...

The pregnancy didn't really turn me off...it just disturbed me a LOT.

I did like how Edward fainted though, that made me laugh.
I just lost the game.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:06 pm
Foreseer says...

Well, I liked the book and at the same time I was like "woah!" I will honestly say that I was about to quit reading it 'cause it got a little...weird, with the whole pregnancy thing. Then with the whole Jacob imprinting on Renesmee, I was like okay. But Bella finally turning into a vampire was awesome. :D
I think I went from liking it, thinking "o...kay", "what!", "you gotta be kidding me!", to hating it, to liking it again, and then totally liking it.

Anyway, I'll just keep it short and brief. I liked the book. :wink:

*~*Foreseer*~*
~*~It's Not Faith If You Use Your Eyes ~*~
- Miracle by Paramore

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:49 am
Perra says...

I was euphoric when I finally finished the book. It was full of lols, fail, and so much Mary Sue-age. Bella's got so much Mary Sue going on that her daughter inherited it.

Honestly, Stephenie Meyer needs to take some writing classes and/or read some books on writing so that she knows how to plot better and stuff, because she has the potential to be a good writer - her ideas are pretty cool - but she fails in execution. So many plot threads dropped, so many non-existent Chekhov's Gun.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:23 pm
StellaThomas says...

I pretty much agree with LyricalSunshine (with whom it would appear I agree with on all things Twilight). However, I would like someone to answer these questions:

-the vampire genetics. How during the process of changing does a vamp get two extra chromosome pairs?
-how come Edward can be a father yet Rosalie can't be a mother? Unfair or what?
-so the Volturi went all that way just to turn around again. There wasn't even a fight! I felt the same way at the end of New Moon. Where's the climax???
-Leah. What happens to her? Jacob abandons her. Does that mean that she has to spend her life with her misery in Forks? Nobody seems to care very much about what happens to her. Sure, she may be mean, but doesn't she have a reason to be? But once he imprints, it's like Leah doesn't exist anymore.
-Charlie. Bella had to be changed because she knew too much. Now Charlie doesn't know it all, but he knows enough, right? So why isn't he in trouble?
-Who's Embry's father? That one especially bugged me.
-Isn't Claire's mother going to wonder why Quil wants to spend so much time with a three year old?
-I'm sorry, but Renesmee Carlie? What kind of a name is that?
-Is Nessie going to have any mortal friends through her childhood? At all?
-Charlie thinks that Nessie is Bella's niece, then Bella says that she has his curls...
-why do the wolves hate the vampires so much if they're not actually werewolves?

She left far too much unanswered.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

Reviews: 0
Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:00 pm
ldsprincess says...

Stella Thomas wrote:I pretty much agree with LyricalSunshine (with whom it would appear I agree with on all things Twilight). However, I would like someone to answer these questions:

-the vampire genetics. How during the process of changing does a vamp get two extra chromosome pairs?
-how come Edward can be a father yet Rosalie can't be a mother? Unfair or what?
-so the Volturi went all that way just to turn around again. There wasn't even a fight! I felt the same way at the end of New Moon. Where's the climax???
-Leah. What happens to her? Jacob abandons her. Does that mean that she has to spend her life with her misery in Forks? Nobody seems to care very much about what happens to her. Sure, she may be mean, but doesn't she have a reason to be? But once he imprints, it's like Leah doesn't exist anymore.
-Charlie. Bella had to be changed because she knew too much. Now Charlie doesn't know it all, but he knows enough, right? So why isn't he in trouble?
-Who's Embry's father? That one especially bugged me.
-Isn't Claire's mother going to wonder why Quil wants to spend so much time with a three year old?
-I'm sorry, but Renesmee Carlie? What kind of a name is that?
-Is Nessie going to have any mortal friends through her childhood? At all?
-Charlie thinks that Nessie is Bella's niece, then Bella says that she has his curls...
-why do the wolves hate the vampires so much if they're not actually werewolves?

She left far too much unanswered.

That's what bugged me! There was No climax.
Plus a bunch of things didn't make any sence, it's almost like she was coddling her characters. I mean someone could have at the very least been hurt....
"She's got it out for me but I wear the biggest smile!"
-Misery Buisness by Paramore

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:13 pm
kittykat says...

I just got the book from my friend, she said she absolutely LOVED it and that she wanted another book to tell the life of Renesmee *shudders at name.* I, on the other hand, give it a "so-so" rating. I mean, Twilight was awesome. It really sucked me into the series, but then I was starting to fade off. I'm only on the seventh chapter of Breaking Dawn and I don't know if I'll have enough interest to finish it. I'll... try.

But I was sort of hoping that Bella would suddenly change her mind and go with Jacob. Or Edward would kill Jacob or vis versa. I wanted some action or bloodshed or something! It's going to really tick me off that there's not going to be any action. I'm always afraid of this happening with series. The books getting worse as the go along. A Series of Unfortunate Events had a pretty good ending. I really liked that series. This one, well... "eh." *shrugs shoulders*

Twilight - awesome
New Moon - still great
Eclipse - starting to worry
Breaking Dawn (so far) - so-so
Our happiness here is all vain glory,
This false world is but transitory,
The flesh is weak, the Fiend is slee
Timor mortis conturbat me.
--William Dunbar

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:30 am
bunnie_i_am says...

I have no idea what y'all are talking about! I'm in love with that book! I thought that it was the best one yet!
I wish that Leah and Jacob would have ended up together though. I wouldn't mind a little more action either, but I still ABOUSOLUTLY LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!
but that's just my opinion.
"Having an eye for beauty isn't the same thing as a weakness except possibly when it comes to you."
"I just want to spend every possible minute of the rest of my life with you"
"I realize only one person will be damaged beyond repair if Peeta dies. Me"

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:58 am
cheese9975 says...

I think everyone's already said pretty much everything I felt about the book...but too bad, I'm gunna say it allll again!

I found Breaking Dawn to be very disappointing. I thought that all the little things that I didn't like about Deathly Hallows were in Breaking Dawn and then magnified times a million:

-The whole Renesmee thing was incredibly stupid, in almost everyone of the first seven chapters it was mentioned that Bella would never get to have children if she married Edward, and then it was like "Oh, wait, nevermind!"
-Once Bella turned into a vampire, everything became exceedingly boring. Bella seemed to loose all of her personality. There was no conflict, for several chapters, and I felt like all the charm of Edward was kind of lost as well, because it was like "well, I'm hotter than you now!"

There were a few things a enjoyed, book two was amazing from Jacobs POV, and I loved Emmett's innuendos, that was hysterical. Other than that there weren't very many things I liked. To me, Breaking Dawn had the fan-fiction-y feel of the epilogue of Deathly Hallows.

However, I will still treasure the other three books, despite my disappointment with this one.
"The manatee has become the mento." -Tracy Jordan

"Live every week like it's shark week." -Tracy Jordan
^30 Rock is love

Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:56 pm
ldsprincess says...

Who acctualy laughed out loud when Jacob threw his food at Rose? :lol:
Too good!

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:05 pm
cheese9975 says...

Hahaha, yes, I definitely did! Jacob and Rosalie fighting was one of the best parts.
"The manatee has become the mento." -Tracy Jordan

"Live every week like it's shark week." -Tracy Jordan
^30 Rock is love

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:39 am
Clo says...

20 Questions for Breaking Dawn:

Anyone else wonder what happened to Renee? A character that people had expressed interest in? Who disappeared basically, as if she didn't matter?

And why did Renesmee grow so fast? Why? I don't get it. Not in the slightest.

Why was really bad science brought into it? Oh my god, vampires have two extra chromosomes. I wonder if Dracula knew this.
How am I not myself?

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:46 am
myfreindsavamp says...

The little girl grew fast because she had the same cromosoms as Jacob Black! Dure! :D The mix of human and vampire was kinda odd but the part with Jacob having a rival and the boy that was devistated for killing his mother when he was born half and half was kinda sad. The book was better than the last three and just as addicting.
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:34 pm
ldsprincess says...

salsashanno wrote:Hahaha, yes, I definitely did! Jacob and Rosalie fighting was one of the best parts.

My sisters thought I was nuts! But the mental image was great!

Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:07 pm
StrangeNerd says...

It was...odd.
Jacob's blonde jokes made me laugh though.
AND I LIKED LEAH. She's cool.
But the end...it just sucked. I wanted someone big to die *coughBellacough*. I didn't like Bella the vampire. She was all pretty and perfect and shieldy and boring.
And before Breaking Dawn, I was all like VAMPIRES ROCK YEAHH and crap, but now I've realised werewolves are much better. Also, Jacob Black is 846543897 times better than Edward "shiny perfect hard sex-obsessed" Cullen.
Also, Renesmee. HONESTLY!
So yeah...a disappointment really. :\ I only liked the part written from Jacobs' perspective.
Ahh well. Still looking forward to Midnight Sun!
If you're reading this, then you will have realised that I have a rubbish sig.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:06 pm
ldsprincess says...

StrangeNerd wrote:It was...odd.
Jacob's blonde jokes made me laugh though.
AND I LIKED LEAH. She's cool.
But the end...it just sucked. I wanted someone big to die *coughBellacough*. I didn't like Bella the vampire. She was all pretty and perfect and shieldy and boring.
And before Breaking Dawn, I was all like VAMPIRES ROCK YEAHH and crap, but now I've realised werewolves are much better. Also, Jacob Black is 846543897 times better than Edward "shiny perfect hard sex-obsessed" Cullen.
Also, Renesmee. HONESTLY!
So yeah...a disappointment really. :\ I only liked the part written from Jacobs' perspective.
Ahh well. Still looking forward to Midnight Sun!

Werewolves...oops I mean "shape shifters"... :roll:
Are kick butt! Jake is so much better than Edward.

Daddy Long Legs are more closely related to crabs than spiders and somehow the idea of crablike creatures with spider legs that have escaped the entrappings of the primordial sea and now crawl over land and can walk up and down walls and ceilings creeps me more than I can adequately describe.
— Snoink