z

Young Writers Society

The Host

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed May 21, 2008 5:28 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

OOOH! I finished it, and it is SO much better than Twilight! Stella, yes, the characters are definitely more well-rounded, more flawed. There is no Edward - there is only a steady succession of Jacobs and Mikes and Erics, and I LOVE THEM!!! I definitely recommend it. :D
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun May 25, 2008 4:21 pm
StellaThomas says...

Oh okay thanks. I'm not a massive fan of her characters, as I said. I've looked at it several times and I'm a bit dubious... But if you're all saying it's good, then maybe I'll get it. 'Twould be good holiday reading, yes?
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

241 Reviews

Wed May 28, 2008 5:57 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Yeah, definitely. It felt so much more realistic than Twilight. The characters were very real and relatable this time around, and they actually MADE MISTAKES. *gasp, swoon* It was very good. I'm glad she wrote it; Twilight doesn't do her any justice as far as showing off her writing skills.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Thu May 29, 2008 12:45 am
Angel of Death says...

I just bought The Host today, can't wait to read it!!
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:37 pm
StellaThomas says...

I read it.

Twice.

I so totally forgive her for writing the atrocity that is Edward Cullen.

I loved this, it was brilliant. The characters are self sacrificing still, but in a different way, and it makes sense. The storyline was unexpected, the relationships all grew beautifully (especially that between Melanie and Wanderer). I really enjoyed it so much. She's grown so much as a writer, I think. She knows what mistakes she made last time, and as I began this, I thought it was going the same way. This ending was really surprising, in a nice way. The whole book was worth reading even, just for the epilogue. But I enjoyed it immensely.

Stephenie Meyer now has my respect.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

241 Reviews

Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:10 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Yay for the redemption of Stephenie Meyer. :D Angels will celebrate the day when Stella and I forgave her, lol.

Reviews: 1
Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:23 pm
Ianthe says...

I've really been wanting to read this book after hearing all the great reviews my friends have given it so far. I'm liking the fact that The Host characters are more well-rounded than those in Twilight. So there's no Edwards?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:33 pm
StellaThomas says...

Haha, both me and Sunshine forgive her for making Edward. If you're an Edward fan, you won't find him here. The character are a lot better, and unlike Twilight, they all have relationships with other people, ie. they make friends, they have family, unlike Bella/Edward, nothing is exclusive. It's a lot more real, you'd like it.

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:59 pm
Angel of Death says...

I finished reading The Host and I loved it. I wasn't expecting to have any doubts about this book because the Twilight series is amazingly good. My favorite character is Ian because he is just great! But hey, why is Edward atrocious? I think he is wonderful better than Jared and Ian put together. I will say that it is sorta better than Twilight but I love vampire love stories more than I like sci-fi so yeah but anyone who hasn't read it yet, read it...its a really times a trillion reallys good.
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:33 pm
View Likes
KJ says...

*gasp* you like edward more than IAN? Are you INSANE? :(

Ian is the most amazing unreal guy EVER. If only he were real. I would leave Edward in the dust for him.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:42 pm
StellaThomas says...

Edward just sucks. As a character, he's simply terrible. He has no faults.

Now, Ian, that is a whole different story *drools*. But as well as that, he's so much easier to envisage. He's so much more real.

I wish he was real :(

241 Reviews

Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:07 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

*does happy dance and sings anti-Edward songs*

Ian beats Ed-ward! Ian beats Ed-ward! Yay!

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:46 am
JC says...

I feel somehow as if I am the only one who felt the the reading of The Host was a good waste of too much time.

The book didn't start for a good 500 hundred pages, and really only lasted about 75. There were no suprises, no good twists, and hardly any great difficulty. Anything that went wrong was solved, and blah blah blah.

The only good characters were Melanie (and only with Wander) Jarad, and Jeb.

Ian was annoying and unrealistic. Jamie was inconsistant with his "growing up", and The Wander lost all respect in the Epilogue. It seemed like she was only a real character when she was in Melanie's body.

I am a Twlilight fan, but not a New Moon, Eclipse, or Breaking Dawn fan. It seems like Stephenie Meyer is falling down the slippery slope of cocky writer-ness where she knows that whatever she writes will be published in gold lettering.

She needs a big slice of humble pie before she set ink to page again.
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:40 am
silverSUNLIGHTx says...

Ahh. I looked for this post through like 10 pages!
And now it's here.
I have to say that this is my favorite book and about seven thousand times better than the twilight series, which i also loved so you can tell how much i am in love with this book.
It was just my kind of story and you can argue about the plot and characters and whatnot but to my understanding they were perfect.
I read it twice.
And after each reading I went through serious withdrawals. But it was worth it.
It's my favorite and that's all there is to say.
Don't hate.
--->Don't forget we've got unfinished business. Stories yet to unfold, tales that must be retold.
-Alex Gaskarth

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:16 pm
JosephDean says...

Wow, I just finished it a little over an hour ago. I'm confident in saying that it was much better than Twilight. The characters were MUCH more believable, and Meyer's attention to detail was uncanny. I got my friend to reading it (ironic, since she got me to reading the Twilight Saga), and she actually cried when Wanderer found Jamie. :)

[spoiler]The ending made me kind of angry at first, but then I came to like it. I know I sound like any other deranged fan when I say this, but I wouldn't mind seeing the situation through the eyes of one of the other human freedom-fighter-factions. :) [/spoiler]

Hope I was allowed to say that :D

i am neither a loose leaf nor do i like loose leafs. really, i am a piece of wide-ruled looseleaf paper
— looseleaf