z

Young Writers Society

Lord of the Flies

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:44 pm
OverEasy says...

I like it, but then I tend to like things that delve into human nature and our more primal instincts. Also I tend to like things that are a little twisted, maybe that's just me.
Life is for living.

Random avatar

Reviews: 14
Tue May 13, 2008 11:45 pm
Muteman says...

This book was great. I would say easily Top 25 books of all time. Maybe not up there like The Catcher in the Rye, but still one of the greats.

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:38 pm
andimlovegalore says...

It's so sad everyone says they hate this book. I had to study it for my GCSE English Literature and at the time I honestly didn't have much love for it either, but now that I think back on it Golding is such a talented and subtle writer, I want to read it again without the pain of having to write it, because that just takes some of the joy out of it.

I've just read The Spire by the same author for my AS level Literature paper and I loved that a lot as well. Golding is seriously talented and amazing, even if you didn't like Lord of the Flies in an academic setting, it could just be that the school and crappy teachers killed it for you.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:49 pm
Medusa says...

I loved Lord of the Flies! I liked the fact that these boys, who seemed so innocent, could be so brutal. The flipside to respectable good-natured children.

--Medusa.
Alice: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:08 am
Juniper says...

I hated this book...it was too morbid and gross.
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:37 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

I had to do a project on this one for school, freshman year. We had to make an interpretive video about it. I have to say, I was pretty thoroughly impressed by the horrible feelings that man was able to evoke with that book. I hated it, it disgusted me, I even had nightmares, and I wished I'd never read it, but at the same time... damn. O.O
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:48 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

I agree with the Professor. :D This book made me physically sick to my stomach, but it really is amazing.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:51 pm
onceuponatim3xo says...

It was all right as far as literary techniques go, but still it was very dull and at the same time so disgusting that I couldn't read any more - but I had to for school. :?
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
-Buddha

Reviews: 3
Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:48 pm
View Likes
writergirl94 says...

Lord of the Flies was okay - not one of my favorites, but it did have a good storyline.

I'll tell you what though, Piggy really annoyed me. If I'd heard him asking for his specs or for the conch one more time... :smt013

I think the reason it was such a hit with my class is because I spent my year in English with the most morbid people ever. They were obsessed with death... :smt104 Many of them could relate with Jack, actually.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:03 am
Slammoth says...

*Takes a deep breath*

I liked it, sorta. Heh, hehe... Hee... Don't kill me!

As someone mentioned before about a uh, nobleman... This one's definately a book for thinkers. You need to ponder and wonder as you read the piece for maximum enjoyment. Me, I enjoyed the symbolism etc etc. Even though I had to read it for school! And do an essay. And stuff. But there's a reason why nasty teachers worldwide make bored teens read this book. A lot of thought has been put to it - So much that the readers have to think as well.

Think. It's good for you. :D
Art is not about thinking something up. It is the opposite -- getting something down.
~Julia Cameron

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:18 am
Clo says...

Morbid? Terrible?

This book is amazing. And I never saw it as morbid, or gross. There's so many books worse than it, this story never dipped into how truly awful people can be, not to the full potential of human ills. Still though, the book is a beautiful microcosm for the world at the time, and more than "morbid" it's just plain sad - that left on their own, these human children will do this to one another.

My favorite character was Simon. I just adored him, and his story was so sad. :( Somewhat confusing though, because I don't think they ever said he was epileptic, and yet I got the idea that he was epileptic somehow...?

Still, I LOVE this book.
How am I not myself?

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:40 am
andimlovegalore says...

clograbby wrote:I got the idea that he was epileptic somehow...?

I agree with you, I think he was epileptic, and that's one of the things that set him apart from the others. Like Piggy was asthmatic with specs, [spoiler]and that's why those 2 characters died. [/spoiler] Difference is dangerous. I agree, it is a beautiful book while being horrible and disturbing at the same time.

I can see why people would say it's morbid and disgusting, but I think that's kind of the point. It's meant to represent the bad side of people and society.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:50 pm
Fantasyfreak14 says...

I hated that book. I think maybe it was mostly because I hated the teacher who taught it to me. She was overly dramatic and kept pointing out all the important details. Anway, I just thought the whole concept was weird. I know there was a lot of what my teacher called "ingenious" symbolism and stuff, but I thought that the book was really boring until the last two chapters.
"Its a brave new world."
-Sylar

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:07 pm
xxfourthelement says...

I never finished reading LOTF - I tried at 13, but it was simply too... dry for me then.

But I have read a few studies and things about it. The one I liked the best? One talking about LOTF and Catcher in the Rye - "Things were always happening at your rotten fancy prep school, people picking on you at your rotten fancy prep school, or being shot down on a plane to your fancy prep school." Just ab observation - I doubt that kids who were born on the streets would have been quite so savage.

Honestly? I hear things. People tell me about the pretty rotten savage things that go on in their neighborhoods. If you know people who get beaten down and you carry a knife around for protection, I doubt you'd see glory in cutting another kid's head off.

I probably should read LOTF, with it being a classic and everything, but it just doesn't seem real. At all.
"...I laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Sometimes I can stop laughing before people start edging away and talking about soothing drinks." - Lord Raould of Goldenlake and Malorie's Peak

Free Reviews

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:51 pm
Kaylyn says...

Um EWW did you get the part were they were killing the sow. THAT WAS DISTUBING IF YOU GET WHAT IT MEANT. They raped the sow before they killed it. Don't believe me? Go back and read that part a little closer. Our teacher described alot of the symbolisms in there. I will never read that book, Again. My best friend burst out laughing in the middle of class when the teacher read that Piggy died. What's so funny?
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

The brain is wider than the sky.
— Emily Dickenson