z

Young Writers Society

Worst Book You've Ever Read

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:05 pm
CastlesInTheSky says...

Definitely the best description of Edward Cullen I've ever seen. If not, you know, the best description ever.

Hehe. :D Thankyou, dahling. *Bows*

Since everyone has forgotten, as the founder of this popular thread I feel I should say that in my initial post for this I said Do Not Mention Twilight or Harry Potter, and now I add especially Twilight, because these books have been talked about enough and there are other books to dislike out in the world.

Oh...sorry, Clo. I didn't see the main page because this thread has gotten so long. :shock:
x
Had I the heavens embroider'd cloths,
I would spread the cloths under your feet.
But I being poor, have only my dreams,
So tread softly, for you tread on my life.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:00 pm
Medusa says...

Ducati wrote:Um Great expecations....to be honest I couldn't even finish it. The closest I have got to reading more Dickens is watching a BBC version of Bleak house on tv and writing a scathing report when my teacher asked me to describe how Dickens introduces characters using a snippet from the very same hated book.
Don't get me wrong, I love alot of classics. Who ever bagged out Jane Eyre is evil in my book!!
Oh and I hated Catcher in the rye. It was amusing for about two pages then it got tedious. Also, song of an innocent bystander. I hated it all the more because I had to write an essay praising it all the more. If you've never heard of it, count your lucky stars and don't look into it.
Also some book by Jodi Picoult about some girl who's sister has cancer and she was born to be the donor and she doesn't want to or something. I can't even remember the name. But it was rubbish, especially the ending.

I thought Great Expectations was harrowingly beautiful,. just like Wuthering Heights.
And Catcher in the rye is one of my favorites!
Alice: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:34 am
jenni321 says...

Ok, I know this sounds weird, but if I hear of a book thats really bad, sometimes I go out and buy it so I can take my red-pen to it and DESTROY it. It's a kinda weird pasttime...

Ugh, I SO want to say Eragon, but I will resist the urge...
Well, the first book I ever wrote was uh, yeah..I don't like to talk about it, :wink: It's nothing short of horrendous. But I still love to take it out once in a while and laugh at it.
Oh, and The Magic Bicycle. It's about this kid who somehow (it never explains how) gets a 'magic bicycle' that can take him anywhere in time, so he meets all these famous people. The dialogue is cheesy, the narrative is cheesy, and I found about 6 grammer mistakes.

Jenni
On a scale of 1 to Random, I'm pretty ADHD.

Reviews: 0
Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:52 am
Spirrus says...

jenni321 wrote:I found about 6 grammer mistakes.

oh lawdz
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it."

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:05 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

Oh gosh, I so read The Magic Bicycle like 8 years ago. I had forgotten until now. I think even at ten I thought it was rather lame.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:46 pm
Conrad Rice says...

The fourth book in the Maximum Ride saga, The Final Warning. It wasn't like it was badly written, but Mr. Patterson kept trying to preach about global warming in almost every other paragraph, at least it seemed that way to me. And, what's more, it didn't have any relevance to the plot of the book. It was just there to try to send a message to kids, and that was painfully obvious.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:24 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Seriously. It was like "Maximum Ride- A Side Adventure".
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:09 pm
Samantha Eliza says...

The Princetta. I read this book pretty recently and WOW, it was so terrible. I understand that it was originally written in French and so some things might be lost in translation, but I don't think that a translator could screw up a book that much. The characters were flat, the romance was so WEIRD (she saw a ray of sunlight hit him and BAM, LOVE) and then, what the heck, one of the main characters is needlessly killed at the end. I wasted ten bucks on it. Don't make my mistake.

Also, A Child Called It. When I was in middle school, everyone loved this book. I don't know why. The writing is terrible and it kind of bored me. Sure, it's a sad story, but it wasn't very well-written.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:01 pm
scasha says...

Wicked (Witch and Curse) by Nancy Holder and Debbie Vigue was definitley one of the worst books I've attempted to read (I put it down after page 167). It sounds as though it is written by someone who has never written a word in her life and doesn't understand conventional grammar or the use of telling versus showing. The prose is horrible and the plot is less than original. Absolutley awful!

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:26 am
Clo says...

By any chance, does that Wicked (Witch and Chance), contained a storyline where the main character's entire family dies in a rafting accident in the first chapter?
How am I not myself?

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:15 pm
niccy_v says...

Drylands - Thea Astley

Have I said that?

Markus Zuzak - The Messenger
I love all his work except that boring, slow, formidable book. The first 50 pages had me asleep at noon and well, I have not picked it up since. I don't care if there is an exciting ending or whatnot, because those 50 pages were the hardest 50 to read in my life. To read even another 2 or more would be less favorable than death.
Well written, but boring.
Writing gives my life purpose

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:10 pm
Samantha Eliza says...

niccy_v wrote:Markus Zuzak - The Messenger
I love all his work except that boring, slow, formidable book. The first 50 pages had me asleep at noon and well, I have not picked it up since. I don't care if there is an exciting ending or whatnot, because those 50 pages were the hardest 50 to read in my life. To read even another 2 or more would be less favorable than death.
Well written, but boring.

Really? I LOVED that book so much. I don't remember it being boring at all. Right now I'm reading one of his other books, The Book Thief. It's SO good.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:58 am
KnightlyAngel09 says...

Since I can't say Twilight...

Main Street by Sinclair Lewis. Or maybe I just had overly high expectations. Or maybe the story just isn't my type. Well, ya can't blame me for having high expectations... the guy is a Nobel Prize Winner for Literature! but I really didn't like it. Also I don't like Madeline L'Engle.. Did I spell that right? I don't like the way she writes.
All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you.:)

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:03 am
LilyJamey says...

I have more to add to the list. "Fasting, Feasting", by Anita Desai. It's a book which paints the Indian community well, but it got me all jumbled up because it leaps back and forth in time.

And I HATE Edgar Allen Poe. So sue me.
Got YWS?

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:59 pm
Trikky says...

You hate Edgar Allen Poe? Hoowwww? TT_TT
Maybe people make too big a deal out of it for what it is (popular fiction/horror), but how can you hate it? C'mon, what could be scarier than "The Masque of the Red Death" or a more classic story of revenge than "The Cask of Amontillado"?
"God is dead." -Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead." -God

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
— Mark Twain