z

Young Writers Society

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:52 pm
Dreami says...

You guys have to remember, the only time we really see James is in Snape's Worst Memory. You can't judge their entire character on that small little moment.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:08 am
Kel says...

Dreami wrote:You guys have to remember, the only time we really see James is in Snape's Worst Memory. You can't judge their entire character on that small little moment.

But you also can't judge a character on nothing. We know he grew up, but I'd really like to see -how- he grew up in his seventh year. There were many, many other people attending Hogwarts and she could've picked any one of them. I'm just curious as to what made James special.

(not really a spoiler since this was mentioned in HP5)
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:32 am
Fan says...

Urghh..

All the spoilers for the book that I couldn't ignore quick enough turned out to be true....

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:41 am
Pushca says...

I avoided the computer completely until I'd finished.

[spoiler]The theory is that the character who exhibited magic late in life is Dudley, just not in the literal sense.

There were a lot of things that we were supposed to find out in that book that we didn't, like the professions of Harry's parents, etc.

I thought that Ron getting into the chamber was pretty weird. Actually, there were a few things in that book that were weird.

Poor Lupin and Tonks, and they were the ones who weren't supposed to die, too...[/spoiler]
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:53 am
View Likes
Black Ghost says...

[spoiler]Yeah, the way that they got into the chamber was a bit weird. I guess I just ignored it because there was so much else going on. But really, how could he have opened it without knowing parsletoungue?[/spoiler]

MM

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:39 am
Fan says...

[spoiler]Apparently, Ron imitated the sounds that Harry used to open the chamber, but I wouldn't have thought it would be that easy, or Ron Weasley would have been able to remember the exact sounds Harry made (he's not that bright, is he?)[/spoiler]

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:14 am
Firestarter says...

[spoiler]Actually, Ron had been shown to be a lot cleverer in this book. He had also heard Harry mutter "Open" in Parseltongue before (Chamber of Secrets and Slytherin's locket). Imagine you heard someone speaking a Japanese word but you didn't speak the language -- you could imitate the word and still not speak it. I think that's basically what Ron did.[/spoiler]
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:11 pm
Cade says...

[spoiler]Yeah, and I think Ron's ability to open the chamber showed a lot more about Slytherin's view of himself. He designed the chamber so that only his descendants (all Parseltongues) could open it. But clearly, the method isn't as infallible as he thought it would be, because Ron, who is obviously not Slytherin's heir, could do it. That would've really pissed off Slytherin and Voldy.

Regarding the whole James/Lily/Snape thing...I definitely agree with Dreami. Since Harry has only ever seen his teenage father in Snape's memories, the view is going to be a little distorted. The memories belong to Snape, so they're not going to be impartial. They're Snape's memories, from Snape's point of view. I'm sure if he had looked into Sirius's or Remus's memories he would've seen a completely different James.[/spoiler]
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:52 am
Sohini says...

Yeah, I loved iot too.
although i didn't like the epilogue I think it was way better without it. it was funny but well, it kinda spoils the mood.

I loved Snape. really he is one brilliant character./ also disappointed at not finding more abot Jams's parents and more bot Sirius' past.

the deaths were heart breaking specially the second death .('cept the last one of course)
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:06 pm
JC says...

I stayed up all night reading it (It's seven in the morning, just finished), and by golly.
That was one crazy night...lol

Although, I despised...sorry, let me reword that...loathed, absolutely hated the epiloge. The book would have been so much better without that entire thing. It was pointless, and left me angry and JK for not letting me finish the book in that dazed state of wow. Grrr to her. Brillience should not be tested. Argish.

Books should not end with that last line...it's cheesy beyond forgiveness.

But other than that. YAY!

-JC

(There'd better not be a followup...I'm not even kidding. If she so much as considers it...lol)
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:40 pm
Swires says...

JC - Shes making an encyclopedia that will answer any loose ends....

The last line was tacky. I hated it. Although as for the epilogue I fail to see how it didn't end the series nicely.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:45 pm
JC says...

It was an overkill version of "and they all lived happily ever after." Maybe I'm just an ambiguous ending type person, who knows. I just thought she could have done a lot better as far as endings go.

And the loose ends should have been tied in the books...but, she's the writer, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much...
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Swires says...

She can make another few million out of an encyclopaedia though lol.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:41 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

[spoiler]Well, I don't know about you, but I think 'All was well' is a lot better than '...only those whom he loved could see the lightning scar', which was going to be the last line originally.[/spoiler]
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:50 pm
Rydia says...

I have to agree that I wasn't fond of the epilogue. It wasn't just the last line, it was everything. The names of the children, the relationships between the children and the general happy theme.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Forever is composed of nows.
— Emily Dickenson