z

Young Writers Society

Lord of The Rings or Harry Potter?

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:14 pm
Shafter says...

Yes, I'm back to post again...
Thank you, doubt_all, for your support of LotR even though you didn't like it. I'm reading through LotR again with my family and believe me, I am biting my tongue (fingers?) to keep from taking someone's head off here. ;) I'm very sorry that the attention span of the average reader is not long enough to see the depth and beauty in LotR. Let me reiterate: I like Harry Potter, but the depth is not there. I'm sorry, it's just not.
About Dark Materials trilogy: different subject, but a very interesting one. Doubt_all, PM me if you want to know what I think of the trilogy. 'Twould make for an interesting discussion, to be sure. :)
And... I'm going to stop writing now. Bye!
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:25 pm
Firestarter says...

On the His Dark Materials note, its much better than Harry Potter, and by all rights, should be more popular. It's better written, and far more consuming than Harry Potter.

But I still think LotR is brilliant, and nothing I have read in my life thus far beats it for me.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:33 pm
Max McKali says...

definitely. His Dark Materials are certainly a lot deeper than Harry Potter, but LotR is at the top of my list. It has more symbolism and more in-depth themes than anything I've ever read.
"All for one and one for all- that is our motto, is it not?"

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:47 am
Bjorn says...

Hoy, Pushca, unreadable?! My, my - where has todays generation gone off to? I stick by the fact that the LotR is a modern literary masterpiece, concieved by a masterful mind and written by an equally masterful hand. That I shall ever come across anything quite like it, as far as I can tell, is highly unlikely. Tolkien, I think, was one of a kind :roll:
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:40 pm
Pushca says...

*blushes*

well, technically, i suppose... i will have to read it eventually... but i might have to wait until i'm thirty.

this generation? i'm 77, remember? (and steadily decreasing in age. i used to be 100.)
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:35 pm
Mickiemoo says...

Harry potter for books, and i think the films for both are good, im hooked on harry potter constantly, but i cant get into LOTR!
Mickiemooxxxxxxx

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:49 pm
The Jesseble says...

Mickiemoo wrote:Harry potter for books, and i think the films for both are good, im hooked on harry potter constantly, but i cant get into LOTR

Agreed!! Harry Potter books are much easier to read...i had to read LOTR twice to get it going O__O

Film wise...definately LOTR, i mean they are just quality films. HP started bad with PS but the last one GoF was great!

TJ
***The Jesseble***

Cheese Hat

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:42 am
Mr. Everyone says...

personally and speaking for the younger publeic, wich counts more than anything, i think that harry potter is an easier thing to read, but if you do read lord of the rings or atleast watch the movies i can say hands down that lord of the rings utterly burns harry potter. harry potter was meant to grow with age group and to grow with harry. starting out with harrys age group in the first book as the main public reader target and worked its way up year by year. i found this very effective in creating a creative drama in a young boys life making it easier for them to read and magnificently increasing there vocabulary. harry potter educationally probably has lord of the rings burned. so by my own logic we are at a deuce of 2 great epic adventures!=)happy reading(=
~Everyone~

=) *wave*

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:37 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Well, I find Harry Potter ultimately the better book. LOTR is so description-heavy, we don't need to read ten pages describing a mountain. I think the plot of LOTR is more epic than HP, but the characters are flat. You can't really relate to them, I think Tolkein is far more interested in getting across his epic plot and landscape rather than conveying human emotions. HP, on the other hand, goes the other way, taking more time to build up character depth than concentrate on scenery. I like this more.

Regarding the films, LOTR are definitely better, simply because of the way they are more accurate and better acted than HP. On the point of His Dark Materials, I find it in between: it slightly edges into the realms of over description, yet still manages to maintain character depth in most of its characters. Unlike Frodo, Sam, Gandalf, Aragorn, etc. you can relate to Lyra, Will, Lord Asriel, Mrs. Coulter, Serafina Pekkala, etc. much better.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Random avatar

Reviews: 45
Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:34 pm
magiclukehutch says...

I'd say Harry Potter was WAY better than Lord of The Rings!
Always happy to help!

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:22 pm
Krystalstars says...

Harry Potter all the way! 7th book in july! *Whooooooooooooop!*
God made us Best friends because he knew our moms couldn't handle us as sisters.....

Reviews: 3
Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:07 am
saoirse says...

Harry Potter is my favorite, followed by His Dark Materials. Harry Potter is just a wonderful story. Rowling is a great writer in that she can combine the dark with the light and make it funny and interesting.

Lord of the Rings. Hmmm. I've been meaning to read those. I tried a couple years ago, but my mind wasn't prepared. :)

And did everyone know that there is going to be a His Dark Materials movie towards the end of this year???
I'm so excited.
sweetheart
sick body part
sickheart
sweet body part

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:11 am
flytodreams says...

I've read all six books of HP, but only one book of LOTR, so saying HP would be unfair, lol.

I agree with the others about HP being easier to read, though. But once I've read all the books, and watched all the movies of both, I'll get back here.
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:37 pm
HeadInTheClouds says...

It's pretty close for me, but i'd have to say The Lord of the Rings. I agree that Harry Potter is easier to read, but i've outgrown the earlier ones, and the more recent ones just got on my nerves. LOTR is a difficult read, but I did really enjoy them, although the first part of The Fellowship of the Ring was a tad bit boring. Plus, the LOTR movies were way better than HP.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:33 pm
Ofour says...

I feel that Harry Potter is a very good at being a plain book, nothing more. You can read it, its enjoyable and takes no mental effort. However, the extra challenge provided by LotR to understand all that is written makes it, for me, by far the better book. The world of LotR is just so much bigger, better and more interesting. It is also much harder for a reader to access which is why I liked it so much more than Harry Potter.

In terms of movies I don't think that either of them are as good as the books. Even so the LotR movies are by far better than the HP ones which are just plain boring.
ln(-a)=i(pi) + lna

I know history. There are many names in history, but none of them are ours.
— Richard Siken