z

Young Writers Society

The Hollow Kingdom

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:08 pm
niteowl says...

In order to avoid revealing too much, I'm just copying straight from the book jacket to summarize the book.
She had never screamed before,
not even when she overturned the
rowboat and almost drowned.
But now she screamed, long and
loud, with all her breath.

Hallow Hill has a strange and tragic history. For thousands of years, young women have been vanishing from the estate, never to be seen again. Now Kate and Emily have come to live at Hallow Hill. Brought up in a civilized age, they have no idea of the land's dreadful heritage. Until, that is, Marak decides to tell them himself.

Intelligent, pleasant, and completely pitiless, Marak is a powerful magician who claims to be a King--and he has very specific plans for the two new girls who have trespassed into his kingdom

This is the first book of the Hollow Kingdom trilogy. I definitely look forward to reading the next two books. I especially liked that the author (Claire Dunkle) didn't overdescribe. I was very rarely bored reading this. It was truly an awesome book. Anyone else read this? If not, I highly reccomend it (unless of course you hate fantasy).
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

Random avatar

Reviews: 17
Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:50 pm
Silverstar says...

Oh, I loved that book! Unfortunately, the library only had the first two of the trilogy... which is murder. Very funny. Stars are cool.

Marark didn't vlaim to be king.. he was king! (of the goblins, no less...)

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:59 am
niteowl says...

I am perfectly aware of that. Like I previously stated, I was copying straight from the book jacket so as not to accidentally give away the entire book.

she slept with wolves without fear, for the wolves knew there was a lion among them.
— r.m. drake