z

Young Writers Society

lit analysis 'how to read like a professor', not recommended

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:00 pm
napalmerski says...

I'm not sure where this rant should be, so I'm placing it here.

I just read 'How to read like a Professor' by Thomas C. Foster

What a terrible book. Starting with the confiding hip-tone, but of course maintaining authority by incessant references to 'when I was teaching literature the other day', to the easy-going style which attempts to present academic shallowness as merely hip allusions to a hypothetical mighty intellect behind the stuff being written, the whole text served to set my teeth on edge.

Of course, it is not utterly useless, the man has summarized and categorized information, which it would otherwise take one up to five hours to research in the Internet, maybe even six hours for those easily distracted, but still.

The author knows his formalistic matrix, he uses the appropriate jargon, and dresses is up in baby talk, but in every section are givaways, which show what a stack of cards the whole book is. Which show, that it is a structure made merely of a repetition of buzzwords and buzzconcepts and should be seen and used as such - as a dumbed down collection of buzzwords and buzzconepts. If anyone is interested - there it is. Get it while it's hot.

Any man who claims to be a scholar of literary analysis, dealing with 'eternal', and 'immortal' topics about the human condition, and yet drops the moronic inferno bomb that the slavs have become familiar with Snow White and Sleeping Beauty from Disney (it is as if he picked on purpose the two classical Pushkin fairytales from the early 19th century); any man who while discussing the significance of death and the insignificance of human life in a cruel indifferent world cites cartoon violence, especially the road runner cartoons, as an example of philosophically meaningless violence... Words fail me.

But then again, to be fair, the title of the book is not 'how to meaningfully analyze literature', it is 'how to read like a professor'. And I suppose that says it all about very many things.

Not recommended, unless he is your professor.
she got a dazed impression of a whirling chaos in which steel flashed and hacked, arms tossed, snarling faces appeared and vanished, and straining bodies collided, rebounded, locked and mingled in a devil's dance of madness.
Robert Howard

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:38 am
Writersdomain says...

Moved to Book Reviews.

Anyways, I personally enjoyed the "How to Read Literature/Novels Like a Professor" books by Thomas C. Foster. Admittedly, for literary analysis, they were not anything spectacular. Foster gives the reader a window into how the reader already thinks about literature. I rather enjoyed the light tone, simply because it was a refreshing break from a lot of the literary criticism I read. Personally, I thought the books were most helpful for writers, taking the way the reader perceives a book out of the usual literary analysis language and demonstrating the effect that patterns, symbols and allusions have on readers in detail. I think understanding those effects and tactics is absolutely central to writing well, so I enjoyed it mostly for that reason.

So, as a reader of literature and current English major, they were nothing eye-opening. As a writer, they were immensely helpful and thought-provoking to me. Every man to his own opinion, but I loved his books. :wink:
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

117 Reviews

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:14 am
napalmerski says...

Thanx for moving it Writersdomain.
Anyway, as usual, now that days have passed, I see my outburst as an embarrassing reaction :D I need to learn to stop projecting my insecurities at other people. It's not their fault that I'm not a great writer yet, hahaha.
she got a dazed impression of a whirling chaos in which steel flashed and hacked, arms tossed, snarling faces appeared and vanished, and straining bodies collided, rebounded, locked and mingled in a devil's dance of madness.
Robert Howard

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:59 pm
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

But you are good at describing things. Believe it or not, a lot of writers struggle to describe scenery and create mood. The thing is, that is the difference between making the reader feel like they are experiencing the story, rather than just reading it.

Happy writing napalm. :smt039
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:06 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

Hmmm... I've seen this around, but haven't read it yet. You make me want to do so.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

117 Reviews

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:28 am
napalmerski says...

Yo,
ApiringAuthor, thanx for the sudden ego boost. I love you man!
Haha.
Gryphon, I think the Golden Bough, or the Hero with a Thousand Faces would be a much more useful read. Not that I've ever read them through, but every little scrap helped clarify thing and /or set thoughts in motion
Robert Howard

Maybe what most people wanted wasn't immortality and fame, but the reassurance that their existence had meant something. No matter how long... or how brief. Maybe being eternal meant becoming a story worth telling.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality