z

Young Writers Society

An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:50 am
Areida says...

An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness, Dr. Kay Redfield Jamison.

I never liked memoirs before this, but now I'm actually thinking about reading a few others.

Dr. Jamison is an exceptional writer. I'm not sure how others would view it, but I found it to be positively fascinating. I mean it when I say I couldn't put it down..

Dr. Jamison has manic-depressive disorder. The book is written by a woman who is both the healer and the healed, and her insights, are simultaneously straightforward and clincal as well as poetic and devastatingly human.

I'd always held a bitterness toward my mother (who is also a victim of manic-depressive illness) because of her frequent refusals to stay on her lithium. I knew it could help her control her mood swings, but I didn't understand how devastating the effects of lithium can be on someone who has experienced fantastic and exhilarating highs as a result of their illness.

At times, I felt as though I was reading my mother's life story, because I was seeing so many traits that both she and Dr. Jamison share: attractive, brilliant clinicians who are plagued by an (to quote from the book) "oddly seductive" illness.

A brilliant piece.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:16 pm
Sam says...

Sounds cool. 'Hypocrite In A Pouffy White Dress' is the only memoir I've read...and that was really funny. I'll have to check this one out too!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

Ogres are like onions.
— Shrek