z

Young Writers Society

Spilled Water

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:34 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

Spilled Water by Sally Grindley was a book I read in 8th grade, I think =_= I'm trying to do as many book reviews as possible, including books I've read in the past xD

So anyways, Spilled Water is about a struggling family in China. The main character, Lu Si-Yan, is sold by her mother to do domestic service because her father died and they can no longer support the family. Lu Si-Yan is 11 year old when she's sold and it takes her 2 years to get back to her mother and younger brother.

Her Uncle sells her to a rich family in an urban part of China. The family there feeds her well and transforms her with a haircut and a new wardrobe. Cooking and cleaning is only one look at it. Lu Si-Yan is not allowed to be seen in certain parts of the house and is engaged to her owner's mentally disabled son without her consent. The mother of the owner sympathizes Lu Si-Yan and helps her escape.

On the way back home, Lu Si-Yan loses all of her money while sleeping in a deserted apartment and ends up being scooped up by a seemingly nice couple to end up working in toy factory. Here, hundreds of young girls are deprived of proper living establishments work their fingers off making toys. Talking back results in reduction in payment or no dinner. As if they hadn't lost enough already.

Lu Si-Yan is bullied by one of her roomates (she is the youngest there, compared to the 16 years olds and up). One of the girls sticks up for Lu Si-Yan and puts her under her wing. Together, the two of them try to work so they can offer their family money. Along the way, Lu Si-Yan becomes too sick too work an starts coughing blood because of her new job in the polluted branch of the factory.

She ends up at the hospital where her friend (I can't remember her name) theatens to report the incident to the authority for child labor laws being broken unless they cough up enough money. The two of them end up receiving enough money to go home and help their families...

[spoiler] Lu Si-Yan is picked up by her Uncle at the hospital. Her cold-hearted uncle ends up aologizing for all that he's done. Lu Si-Yan's mother died before she could get back home because of a broken heart. [/spoiler]

Sorry for the awful summary >< I'm trying to remember what happened myself.

This beginning chapter of this book is confusing, but once you get into it, you'll find yourself attracted to the storyline and persistence Lu Si-Yan has. Grindley makes these events so believable that you'll find even find yourself having a tender spot for Lu Si-Yan.

This book is engaging, emotional, and powerful. The strong characters are ones to admire.
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

You know what the big problem is in telling fantasy and reality apart? They're both ridiculous.
— The 12th Doctor