z

Young Writers Society

Anne Rice?

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:39 pm
MeganJ2012 says...

I heard her vampire books are BETTER then Twilight? whaa? how could this be? is it true?

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:56 pm
Sureal says...

I'm not sure how much you can compare them. I haven't read either series, but I know they're aimed at different audiences.

Anne Rice's books detail with more complex ideas (such as "existential despair and the sheer boredom of lifeless immortality" according to wikipedia) and are intended for a more mature audiences.

Twilight, meanwhile, is aimed at teenage girls.
I wrote the above just for you.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:57 pm
Teague says...

Her books are better because her vampires are actually dangerous -- as in they actually kill people -- and don't sparkle in the sunlight.

Plus, while she's a bit wordy, Anne Rice is way better of a writer than Meyer.

Go read Interview with a Vampire. Learn about Lestat a little. Lestat makes Edward look like a pansy [which he is -- seriously? Vegetarian vampires? No. Just no.].

Teague
x
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:00 am
righting says...

Anne Rice is pretty cool! :)
Always looking for a good book to read.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:08 am
Thealyn Rosewolf says...

I would definitely have to agree with the fact that Anne Rice is a better writer. If only because she actually knew her characters. The way she wrote may have been wordy, but it made it feel like she took the time to truly know her characters, to understand their trials.

With Twilight, I felt like it was a someone writing the way they saw a movie happen. And not to say that's a bad thing. Several authors have said that while they wrote, they could see what was happening playing in their mind like a film, Stephanie Meyer has even said this on her website. But I felt like she didn't personalize her characters, I couldn't connect to them at all. They were fictional characters to a degree I've never seen outside of a children's book.

Yes, Anne Rice and Stephanie Meyer had/have a different target audience, but I still feel like Meyer could have done so much better. I almost feel like she did the minimum of creating a story. But that's me personally.
"I can't stop drinking coffee. I stop drinking the coffee, I stop doing the walking and the standing and the words-putting-into-sentence doing."- Gilmore Girls

566 Reviews

Reviews: 566
Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:11 pm
miyaviloves says...

i have never read twilight but I read Interview with the vampire and I really enjoyed it - not read anything else by her though. I don't know why but I have pretty much stayed away from Twilight - is it really as good as people say it is????????
Bag.

Got YWS?

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:35 pm
Clo says...

Anne Rice is the mother of contemporary vampire fiction. Meyer got many of her ideas from her. She essentially turned vampires from gross monsters into sexy love interests. So of COURSE it's all better than Twilight.
How am I not myself?

Reviews: 3
Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:36 am
Cheshire-Writer says...

Stephanie Meyer got many ideas from Anne Rices vampire books. Though they do target at differnt audiences Anne Rice made vampires popular in this century. You have to remember it was Brom Stroker who really captured the vampire in the first place. Anyways I didn't really like Twilight so maybe get the first one from a libary or borrow it from a friend before you buy the series.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:01 am
ButterFlyInk says...

Teague wrote:Her books are better because her vampires are actually dangerous -- as in they actually kill people -- and don't sparkle in the sunlight.

Plus, while she's a bit wordy, Anne Rice is way better of a writer than Meyer.

Go read Interview with a Vampire. Learn about Lestat a little. Lestat makes Edward look like a pansy [which he is -- seriously? Vegetarian vampires? No. Just no.].

Teague
x

Summed up perfectly :D :lol:
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm
Incognito says...

I 100% agree that Ann Rice's Vampire Chronicles are better then the twilight series. Even though the series was written for a different group of people the writing and characters are unbeleivable. When I was reading 'Interview with the Vampire' I beleived I was Louie and that I was a vampire and I felt his own despair. In Twilight, the characters are nothing compared to those in this series. Twilight was a simple and easy read which I finished in 1 day and I did like it a bit but when you read the rest of the series, it just becomes horrid again.

I did not enjoy the end of the Twilight series and a lot of the stuff in the Twilight series was based from the Vampire Chronicles. The vampires in Twilight just don't seem to work for me and with the vampire chronicles it is as said before, those are real vampires not just some phony 'vegetarian ones'. I never imagined vampires to be overly gorgeous like in Twilight. I imagined them to be those mysterious creatures that hate the world and are attractive in their own way. Ann Rice put my imagination into worlds. She thought almost the exact thing as I did.

I'm sure many people like twilight but any of the people who have the Vampire Chronicles also and compared, Twilight seems like dirt.
'Everyone is entitled to be stupid, some just abuse the priviledge.'

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:27 pm
knFrance says...

They are both worlds apart, there is no way to compare them. I really love them both. Twilight is much less dark and more about Bella and Edwards relationship whereas Anne Rice's books are more about how life as a vampire is a life alone. If you read Anne Rice I would say start with Interview with a Vampire
:D

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:25 am
Ducati says...

Dracula by Bram Stoker was better than any books I've read of Anne Rice and Stephanie Meyer. Interview with a vampire was goodish, but I find her style of writing a bit annoying. I do like twilight a lot, the only thing that turns me off it is annoying fan girls. Sure it's not the best written book ever, but it's a book a lot of people love to read.
When you look at your life, in a strange new room, maybe drowning soon, is this the start of it all?

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:46 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

Dracula was also meant as a metaphor for the sexual liberation of women- not totally as a vampire novel. :)

Anne Rice is amazing. Her writing is gorgeous, suspensful... everything. The characters are unforgettable.

Because Stephanie Meyers' vampire do not feed off humans, Meyers' essentially took away the soul of the vampire. They are no longer "damned" beings, but super humans. Anne Rice's vampires actually kill.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

Reviews: 0
Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:48 am
sleepyflower says...

They're uncomparable. If you like vampire teen love stories, you'd prefer Twilight, but if you like real vampire stories with suspense and dramaticism to portray actual human-feeding vampires, you've got Anne Rice. My teacher even reccomended her, and he's a major literary geek. Haha :)

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:09 am
Trikky says...

Eh... I'm not a big fan of Anne Rice either. I got about 30 pages into Interview with a Vampire and then thought there was probably something better I could be doing with my time. It's pretty much just sex. I don't see the existentialism. ^^;
"God is dead." -Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead." -God

Sometimes I'm terrified of my heart; of its constant hunger for whatever it is it wants. The way it stops and starts.
— Poe