z

Young Writers Society

The Man in the Picture

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:07 pm
Gahks says...

The "Man in the Picture" is a novella that concerns a Cambridge student who visits his professor and old friend at the university. In the course of the meeting, the two discuss a painting of a Venetian ball the old man bought many years ago, the terrible secrets it keeps and the inevitable consequences for those who discover who is the man in the picture...

A clever ghost story, "The Man in the Picture" may be short, but Hill, having already shown her expertise in the format with "The Woman in Black" and "The Mist in the Mirror," delivers a finely-tuned, masterfully constructed supernatural mystery. A sense of dread permeates every page and the unrelenting pace will leave you breathless right up until the horribly disquieting finale. Hill reaffirms her position as a peerless exponent of a neglected genre with this elegant masterpiece.

Excellent and highly recommended.

Rating: ****
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:05 am
Scarecrow says...

I swear to god you sound like a guy who writes reviews in the New York Times Bestsellers.

I actually saw that book in shop yesterday, but I was flat broke at the time.
The price of greatness is responsibility - Whinston Chruchill

i like that the title of dr jekyll and mr hyde makes a clear stance that the embodiment of one’s own evil doesn’t get a claim to the doctorate
— waywardxwallflower