z

Young Writers Society

The Magician's Guild, The Novice, The High Lord

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:04 am
Dreamwriter says...

This series is utter brilliance! There is simply no other way to describe it, just brilliant! These books are about a young girl named Sonea, who lives in a world very different from ours. Ok, here's the Back of Book discription...

[quote]This year, like every other year, the magicians of Imardin gather to purge the city of undesirables. Cloaked in the protection of their sorcery, they move with no fear of the vagrants and miscreants who despise them and their work- until one enraged girl, barley more than a child, hurls a stone at the hated invaders... and effortlessly penetrates their magical shield.

What the Magicians' Guild has long dreaded has finally come to pass. There is someone outside their ranks who possess a raw power beyond imagining, an untrained mage who must be found and schooled before she destroys herself and her city with a force she cannot yet control. [end quote]

This fantasy world was put together with an unimaginably well details, with characters to die for, and the story keeps you guessing. You've got to read it!
Insperation is like a shower; it always wears off. That's why it's recommended daily.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:44 am
Rubric says...

I love this series and am friending you on the principle that you've read it.

I really like the new spin it takes on magic (without spoiling it), and the attitudes to magic. You'd almost think it had been written by an anthropologist...

But yes, ridiculously awesome book.

Rubric
So you're going to kill a god. Sure. But what happens next?

Diary of a Deicide, Part One.

Got YWS?

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:13 pm
The Jesseble says...

Trudi Canavan is definately one of those authors that can get away with creating a completely new world without being too cliche *cough* unlike Paulini *cough*

The Black Magician trilogy is a great series, although I find 'The Magicians' guild' a little slow paced. It's strange that the first book is the least favoured (in my opinion) because usually the first of a trilogy is the best (like Noughts and Crosses). The perception of magic is very well-drafted because I normally hate those fantasies that bog down on magic without explaining the theory as I am strange and picky.

I cried at the end of 'The High Lord' :( ! It's sooo unfair.

Did you hear that there is going to be a sequel series? With Sonea's son involved? His name is going to be Larkin - which reminds me of gherkins :S
***The Jesseble***

Cheese Hat

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:57 pm
Rubric says...

Sequel series? Awesome,I hoped there might be and it was definitely open forit.

As for the High Lord, it was heaps sad, but in a way I'm glad someone had the courage to avoid the classic happy ending, especially when you thought it was just around the corner.

Rubric
So you're going to kill a god. Sure. But what happens next?

Diary of a Deicide, Part One.

Got YWS?

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:53 pm
idle muse says...

Sequel series? Excuse me while I go somewhere far away from people so I can squee in private :) And yes, brilliant series.
Religion is the opium of the masses
- Karl Marx -
Democracy is the worst form of goverment, except for all the others that have been tried.
- Winston Churchill -

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:28 am
WaterVyper says...

Ah yes, truly brilliant. I loved this. In fact, this is one of the books I keep coming to again and again. Dannyl and Tayend are cute together and I expected Dorrien and Sonea to get together. Still, I enjoyed everything at the end. Even the death scene. Rothen's reaction at the end kept me laughing for ages.

And really? There's going to be a sequel? Yes! I am definitely looking for it. Larkin? Reminds me of Lorlin. I liked Lorlin.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:50 am
Jiggity says...

It's a very good series and I believe she is writing a prequel, as regards the war that kept getting referenced throughout the novels.

Her second series, the Circle of Five, I believe it was called, is nowhere near as good.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:20 am
Ducati says...

I loved this! I read it at age I probably shouldn't have, but it kinda became a late childhood favourite. I read her the circle of five too which was very hard to get into but once you were in it was good. I'm such a fantasy nerd now and I swear it's because of this series. Also, she's Australian, like me! :D

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:31 am
Jiggity says...

Haha, discrimination!

There are plenty of major Australian fantasy writers though:

Ian Irvine
Trudi Canavan
Kim Wilkins
Tad Williams
Garth Nix
Sara Douglass
Fiona McIntosh
Kate Forsyth
Tony Shillitoe

And that's just naming a few - all of the above are internationally best-selling, fantasy authors. Don't know what it is about the waters here, but we Aussies rock at fantasy.

It's the shiz, yo
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:41 am
Ducati says...

I thought they were just big in Australia :oops:
:lol:

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:56 pm
Master_Yoda says...

Wow, everyone here seems to love this series. I found the first book pretty slow, and I didn't find it any better than mediocre. By the third one however, Trudi Canavan had me really intrigued. I thought that The High Lord was superb, and had some tremendous twists.

I have been debating with myself whether to read her second series -- The age of five, but the reviews look mediocre at best. Maybe I'll buy it anyway :). We'll have to see.
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
— Anatole France