z

Young Writers Society

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:26 pm
Blink says...

I don't read many books in which, by the end, I am made to think. Nor do I read a lot of books where the main character is the reader, and as he is manipulated, so are you. On the same note, most of the books I read have entirely different plots to the one I'm writing (Orwell makes me jealous)! These were my exact thoughts when reading 1984.

I couldn't put it down. Last night, I had the intention of reading say 10, or 20 pages before I went to sleep put I just couldn't but it down. After 10 pages, I had entered the final section, the interrogation, the manipulation, and I had to read all the last 80 pages.

As much as I loved the characters, my pity for Winston on the last few pages was next to nil, but then, so was his own--Orwell is the master of such creation. The dialogue in the interrogation scene (lasting for a good 20,000 words) was incredible. So much was brought out, but then, I was thinking, how much of this was going to be in my novel? The truth is, I feel a little sad that such thoughts have already been collected into a masterpiece but at the same time, he did it so well.

This isn't a full review, but ye, it made me think. A lot. I went to sleep a little tired, but mostly depressed--the ending, the last few chapters, were depressing. But as Winston's mood changed so did we, and it felt like we had been cast from his mind. All his thoughts were about the propaganda around him, and he had, essentially, failed.

But wow! Go ahead and read it. Just, you know, don't expect a nice read. Sorry if I spoiled anything (I tried not to).

Conclusion: Possibly the greatest book ever written (in my humble opinion). A lot of tohughts were played out and it was all right. Hugely symbolic, and, you know, amazing end.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:50 pm
Medusa says...

I adored this book as well, orwell has such a nack of getting inside your head and pulling you out from under your feet. I do have to say it isn't ENTIRELY original, though. But some themes are worth repeating, I guess.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:54 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Oh my gosh! Best book ever! I cried at the end.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:12 am
Ducati says...

I read it when I was 13 or 14 I think and I loved it! So engrossing. Such a book. I also loved animal farm. Suprsisingly, I really like his writing style.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:28 am
Teague says...

You should read We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. It was written in the 1920's and is the origin of a lot of elements that Orwell borrowed for 1984.

Frankly, they're both good and they look at things in a different light, but I prefer Orwell's impartial style to Zamyatin's first-person narration. Plus, 1984 is less of an acid trip. xD Winston doesn't sex up a chair.

Orwell > World, essentially.

Teague
x
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:51 pm
Blink says...

I'll check that one out, methinks.

Winston doesn't sex up a chair.

I was so looking forward to that bit. :)
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

I would like to be the air that inhabits you for a moment only. I would like to be that unnoticed and that necessary.
— Margaret Atwood