z

Young Writers Society

The Life of Pi, by Yann Martel

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:28 am
Jonny says...

So, has anyone else read this story? I just finished, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It gets off to a slow start (which feels weirdly disjointed from the rest of the book), but once Piscine gets on the boat, I couldn't stop reading. I though it would be dull, like many stories in one sole setting, but everything was so perfect. Richard Parker was another living breathing character with a personality. I felt sorry for him more than Pi. When I realized the end was near, I died a little inside. The other survivor (who Richard Parker eats) and the carnivorous island, were great as well. I wish Martel brought that sense of fantastical reality to the rest of the book, but it was still great. The ending (where you realize the whole trip could have been a figment of Pi's imagination) felt both like a stroke of genius and a slap in the face to me, but mostly a slap in the face.

Anyone else read this parable? Like it? Didn't like it?

And if you haven't read it yet, I highly reccomend it, along with the fact that you don't read the above paragraph...
99% of people don't read signatures
7/4ths of people make up statistics,
66 and 33/10ths% of people are bad a fractions

post446108.html#446108

All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
— Jane Wagner