z

Young Writers Society

Vanity Fair by William Thackeray

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:17 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

I've nearly finished reading this, but not quite. I've come across a problem and I don't know if it's just me, or if other people who have read it would agree.

The first three quarters of the book were really good, it was witty, entertaining and dramatic-I especially loved the chapters set around the Battle of Waterloo-and I quite liked the way sometimes it would go off on a bit of a tangent.

I haven't read any classics for a while and strangely it was a dream that made me pick it up, and to begin with I was really glad I started reading it. I'd recommend it to people just for the first half of it.

But apart from being a bit all over the place with the plot line, William Thackeray is quite clearly very inconsistent throughout the whole novel. It even remarks in the notes in the back of the copy I'm reading that his work is littered with inconsistencies-he mixes things up, gets names wrong, and in some cases even makes mistakes with tenses. He also makes vague references to contemporary people and places that even the notes have to make a guess at.

It just added to the charm of the novel to begin with, but then as soon as I'd got to the last third of it, the tone and style of the writing changed rather abruptly. It seemed to suddenly become very long winded and kind of dull. It went more all over the place than ever and the dialogue dwindled down to nothing. I've got to the point where I don't know if I can be bothered to finish it, which is a shame because I was enjoying it before.

Is this just me, or has anyone else who's read Vanity Fair been a bit disappointed towards the end?

Edit: Oh, no, wait, I've persisted and it's vastly improved, but there was a chunk of about 100 pages that really took a lot of struggle to read through...
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:27 pm
Angel of Death says...

I didn't read the book but I seen the movie. The movie was great. This book was actually on my list of books I want to read because I just love the classics! Was it really that disappointing at the end?

~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:42 pm
Lauren says...

It's on my bookshelf, alogn with many classics I've yet to read. It looks a little too long for me ... I probably would have read it a year or so ago, when I had absolutely nill life, and just sat in my bedroom all day. But laziness, in that respect, has prevailed...
I haven't seen the movie - isn't Reece Witherspoon in it? I liked her in 'Walk the Line'.

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:47 pm
Kaylyn says...

I tried to read iy, but it started out way to boring for me.
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

I send you buckets full of stars, the prettiest rainbow I've ever seen and a really adorable unicorn
— Zenith