z

Young Writers Society

A Confederacy Of Dunces

227 Reviews

Reviews: 227
Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:22 am
Mad says...

Ignatius J. Reilly is a man born in the wrong century. A disciple of Botheius and other medieval writers he spends his time locked away in his room filling tablets with invective directed against the various immoralities of the century, occasionally venturing out to watch movies at the cinema and to take in, rapturously, the obscene storylines and actors that represent the century.

However things are to change for Ignatius as an unfortunate accident forces him out into the workforce and closer contact with all the things he begrudges. His glorious isolation, which allowed him to consider the century from a far, has now ended.

My review gives you an idea about what happens but what I must say is that this book is hilariously funny. I read it just recently for a second time and found myself at points laughing out loud. Those of you who have read novels such as Catch-22, will find something as funny here but for entirely different reasons.

Has anyone else read it? Or is reading it?
Sing we for joy and idleness,
Naught else is worth the having. -- Ezra Pound

PM if you're in need of a review.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:44 pm
wwjnd says...

Yeah I've heard this book is pretty great... I actually have it on hold at the liabrary right now, I don't know if I'm going to read it or not though...
How nice--to feel nothing, and still get full credit for being alive.
-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

227 Reviews

Reviews: 227
Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:30 pm
Mad says...

Well, I'd definitely recommend it (well obviously since I made this post). If you just try the first few pages you'll be able to tell if you like it - I think the first 50/100 are the funniest.
Sing we for joy and idleness,
Naught else is worth the having. -- Ezra Pound

PM if you're in need of a review.

You can't fool me! I listen to public radio!
— Squidward Tentacles