z

Young Writers Society

Sylvia Plath

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:18 pm
Alainna says...

So I just finished reading The Bell Jar.

I think I may commit suicide.

This had to have been the most depressing book I have ever read- yet I still found it good and I had to see it to the end.

Sylvia's writing was witty and so real that I felt almost.....scared to read it.

I would recommend her book (this is her only novel as she committed suicide soon after it was published.) to people with the warning that it is rather heavy stuff.

Anyone else read her novel or any of her poetry/prose?

Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:26 pm
Emerson says...

I don't believe she committed suicide soon after it was written, but I don't know exact dates... though, she did kill herself. I believe she was bipolar.

It's an excellent book. I haven't read it in a year or more so I couldn't give specific thoughts on it (I have poor memory ^^,) but I've read it twice, and I really liked it. I haven't gotten around to reading much of her poetry, though. And it is a very depressing book. But she was a very depressing person.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:31 pm
Shriek says...

The Bell Jar was tragic and frightening and morbid and beautiful all in one. I cannot begin to express how much I admire Plath for being able to recount her own suicide attempts with such eloquence and honesty. I would recommend "Mad Girl's Love Song" if you haven't read it already. It's my favorite of Plath's.
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

196 Reviews

Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:32 pm
Shriek says...

And Suzanne, I just did some investigation and she killed herself the same year the book was published, 1963. The book was published in January of 1963 and she was gone by February 11th. However, the book was published under her pseudonym and it was not revealed that she was the author until 1971.

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:41 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

I adore Plath! (Love isn't the right word in this instance, I just idolise her and marvel at her...and I could go on and gush over her, but I'll try hard not to!)
Yes, it is tough going, isn't it? I read it a couple of years ago, and tried rereading it this summer, but it was just bringing me down too much. She writes so beautifully.
Honestly, I much prefer her poetry. It's amazing, so beautiful and effectively communicated. One of her poems is like a little universe in itself, where you're surorunded by every word, and can think of nothing else.
Her short stories and essays are lovely to though. I love her description, she really did have an amazing eye (and imagination) for detail.
And that's my ramble about Plath over. Must go look for "Mad girl's lovesong." Also, while we're on the subject, has anyone read "And summer will not come again"? I'm longing to read it.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:47 pm
Emerson says...

Wow, I didn't realize she had written it so close to her own death. That makes it all the more tragic.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:51 pm
Via says...

Coming straight from my friends in gilmore girls...

Did anyone ever think maybe Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, she was just cold?

XD
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:49 pm
Kalliope says...

I am so going to read this. I did some research about Sylvia Plath a while ago, but then forgot all about her. *runs off to find website again and read some of Plath's poetry*
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carol (1832-98 )

Got YWS?

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:58 pm
Eimear says...

My sisters an english teacher, and she says Sylvia's husband, Ted Hughes, wasnt too nice to her.

*Ponders

I'm still waiting for my book to arrive.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

344 Reviews

Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:28 pm
Eimear says...

Wow so I'm on like chapter two, just started it last night....

wow.

Oscar Wilde.

196 Reviews

Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:30 am
Shriek says...

good wow?

344 Reviews

Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:08 pm
Eimear says...

The only way i can describe it is in the words of Joyce Carol Oates

(The Bell Jar is, and always will be)

"A near-perfect work of art"

Oscar Wilde.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:41 pm
Samantha Eliza says...

Honestly, I didn't like The Bell Jar. I thought it was kind of boring and although the way she wrote was very haunting, I couldn't get into it. I wanted to like it, but it wasn't really my taste. She was a wonderful writer, though, even if she was kind of crazy (as most good writers are).
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:51 pm
Rydia says...

I haven't read her novel but I've come across her poetry before and touched upon her work somewhere along my English course (Her husband, Ted hughes did a re-write on some of Dickinson's poetry so while studying her, we wandered across to him and his relationship with Sylvia) and I keep meaning to read more by her and the novel is on my list, somewhere around the thirties or forties I believe.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:09 am
JC says...

I actually have this in my wishlist on Amazon. I think I'll go buy it now. You all made it seem really...good...and sad...mostly sad. Wow. Sounds like my cup of tea though...

-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

Okay, first of all, who names their dinner? I don't want to know my dinner's name. This potato--is this potato named Steve?
— Rick Riordan, The Sword of Summer