Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:13 am
saves says...

You must read nineteen minutes.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:17 am
Brackynn says...

*joins the "I've-only-read-My-Sister's-Keeper" club*

I finished that book in less than forty-eight hours ... while I was on holiday in London for the first time and was trying to see as much as possible. It was such a page-turner -- I read it long into the night and on the train, mostly. However, I'm still unsure as to how much of that was thanks to Jodi Picoult's writing style and how much was due to the ethical dilemma.

I absolutely hated the character of Sara, though. I found her to be really just ... flat. I spent most of the book wondering if she had any objective other than making Kate better. Jury's out for me on the ending, though. [spoiler]I found it deliciously ironic, but just a tad over the top. And that line ... something like, "Have you considered organ donation?" made me want to whack my head against a wall. Hard.[/spoiler]

But I loved the title. In fact, this was one of the few times a title pretty much sold the book for me.

I'd read another one of Picoult's novels to compare, but it wouldn't be at the top of my "To Read" list.

And there's my two cents ;)
"A person is a fool to become a writer."
--Roald Dahl

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:43 am
Archstormangel says...

Jodi Picoult is one of the greatest writers I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

Ahem.

I've read 'The Tenth Circle', 'My Sister's Keeper', 'Second Glances', 'Nineteen Minutes', and 'Vanishing Acts'.

My reviews: (SPOILER WARNINGS)

THE TENTH CIRCLE: Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. I was rather dissapointed at the boring ending, 'I accidentally killed him, it was me! By accident!' But the rest of the story was grand.
...Not much else to say.

MY SISTEr'S KEEPER: Sad, depressing, wonderfully written. Gives insight on a child who was created only to keep her other sister alive. Very deep, wonderful, and makes you realize that people may not be as obvious as you think.

SECOND GLANCE: I loved it. Not the best, out of what she's written, but extremely good. Love and romance and more emo. :D Very realistic, however.

NINETEEN MINUTES: By far my absolute favorite book. Brings to light that the evil may not always be truly evil. The good may not be as pure as people thought they were. And shows the emotional wreck of a family that's been torn apart.

VANISHING ACTS: I enjoyed this one truly and deeply. again, proving the evil are not really evil, not always. Sometimes a kidnapper may have been saving the kidnapped. Sometimes a mother whos lost her child didn't deserve the child in the fist place.

Read all her books. Read. Now.
I'm
an Atheist, a young teen girl, someone who loves Harry Potter and hates Twilight, someone who doesn't see deepness in everything, a person who has never suffered from any diseases of any sort.
I'm average, but...

I'm still a writer.

I do all of the training for Walgreen’s cashiers.
— The Devil