z

Young Writers Society

The Midnight Disease (about writers block)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:09 pm
Emerson says...

The Midnight Disease: The Drive to Writer, Writers Block, and the Creative Brain by Alice W. Flaherty was a joy to read. Maybe I'm just a big language nerd, but it really was a great book. I suggest it to all writers, and more specifically, anyone interested in why we right (neurologically, psychologically) and about a variety of diseases that involve writing.

For instance, hypergraphia is the overwhelming urge to write, and graphomania is not a desire to write for personal reasons, but to be published/have a "public of unknown readers." (invented by novelist Milan Kundera)

It also has many hilarious or honest quotes. My highlighter had so much fun dancing through the lines, almost on every page. One of many is in my signature, currently.

I realize how poorly written my explanation is, but at least considering picking it up from the book store! I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I did. More than anything, it left me with questions and introspection. Which sounds a lot worse than it was; it gave me time to consider my own sanity in context of being a writer. :)
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:33 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

this sounds cool. I've been looking for a good writing book for a while. I'll have to check it out.

by the way, i love your avatar. i don't even know why, but i do.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:00 pm
Emerson says...

I've been looking for a good writing book for a while.

See, that is the thing. This isn't a writing book like the general, "Learn how to write a novel in 30 days!" books. This is a science book about writing, haha. It is an annalysis of how and why we writer, among other random things... So don't get it (entirely) if you need help with writing, though it is very entertaining.

And thank you! Cal made it, it is from Bright Young Things.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

I think I have thankfully avoided being quoted.
— Lavvie