z

Young Writers Society

Micheal Crichton's Next

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:53 am
MadHatter says...

I've been in a bit of a Crichton rut lately. Sphere, Jurassic Park, now this. But he's a very good author and I have to say he's influenced my writing greatly. I'd suggest his work to anyone. But that's not why you're here. You want to here what I have to say about the book. So here we go.

Plot/Flow: I give the plot and flow of the book a 6/10. Next's basic concept is a world where gene's in your body are owned by other people, where you could converse with something that's not human, and lots of other junk. I liked this concept and how he portrayed it, but felt his coverage of these topics were rushed. Crichton had it so there was 12 different stories going on at the same time that made it a bit difficult to understand. I actually had to write down character names and what they were doing just to understand each chapter. While the plot was well developed, my postition on the flow is that it was shakey and choppy.

Character Development: I give the CD a 4/10. Because Crichton was balancing twelve stories at once I believe he began to forget to delve into the minds of a lot of characters (though he would always delve into the mind of the rapist.) But Mr. Crichton did do a good job of developing characters later on in the book but by then it was useless.

Notes on the book:
-This book had some fairly graphic sex scenes. Not so graphic that only adults should read it, but graphic enough that young kids under 13 shouldn't read it. I won't go into any details but if you don't know what sex is, once you read this book you'll know how to have it three different ways.
-This book also has some pretty large portions of swearing. Another reason young kids shouldn't read it.

FINAL SCORE ON THE MAD-SCALE: 10/20
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

I'm a fledgling potato bird that lives in a nest in the rp forums
— Ley