z

Young Writers Society

Harry Potter & Inheritance- Opinions Wanted!!

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:15 pm
Dreami says...

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)? Harry... I don't like him but he's flawed and human. Eragon is like... perfect.
2. Galbatorix or Lord Voldemort (as villains)? Lord Voldemort could kick Galbatorix's butt. Volders actually has a backstory and motivation. What's Galbatorix's motivation... insanity? hmmph. creative.
3. I took out this question because it's not even worth comparing the two. J.K. Rowling. She's amazing. Horcruxes. Can Paolini even get an uncliched idea that is anywhere close to that brilliance?
4. Inheritance or the Harry Potter series (as a whole)? Harry Potter. There is so much backstory on it, where Inheritance series is just... so one-dimensional.
5. Your two most hated and loved characters from each of the series.
Love from Harry Potter: Fred, Luna, Tonks, Snape,.... EVERYONE!

Hate from Eragon: Everyone. Except maybe Murtagh... other than his whole "I'm your brother!" crap. Nor would I say I love Murtagh.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:50 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Whence hath spoken! Nice rant. I wish I could pull off something even close to that on occasion. :?

Actually, a couple of my friends are obsessed with Inheritance - don't ask why I haven't abandoned them - and when I try to explain to them why I don't like it, they go, "just because you don't like something doesn't mean you have to dump your dislike on us!"

Well, they aren't writers, and they don't look at it from a writer's perspective, so I guess I can forgive them. For now.
ohmeohmy

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:33 am
Alainna says...

Wow. Whence put it beautifully. I have never heard anyone say it better.

I only read the first three pages of Eragon before dying, therefore I can not speak much on this topic. However, I hated those three pages and the first thing that came to mind was.....unoriginal. The second, boring. The third....I won't even say.

So, to be fair HP wins on all accounts for this topic. No ifs, no buts, it's just better and more well known.

Alainna
xxxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:58 pm
whence says...

I think I can speak well on the subject because I actually took the time to read both Eragon and Eldest, and I approached them with an open mind.

*throwsup in mouth*
The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.
Ernest Hemingway

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:31 am
sabradan says...

Bjorn wrote:My good friend, Harry Potter came out when I was in grade 4, and I do know they are easy to read. But the point I was getting across (this being said, on average, kids aren't as good readers as they maybe could be), was that it was simple, period. I mean he puts in this 'big words' and seemingly complex 'philisophical' concepts, which are quite poorly explained, and greatly flawed. Put it this way, it's like I were to put a diamond randomly in a row of plain grey rocks.

I agree. While I may be 20 years old, going on 21, I still love the HP series, much more than Inheritance. They aren't even really comparable. I will anwser your questions as I go about my rant, so don't look for numbers, really. Harry is by far the greater hero character, as conversely, is Voldemort for the role of Villian both are more much believeable, much more HUMAN. That is actually the primary reason why, at age 20, I still am enthralled by the HP series. Its very down-to-earth, and Rowlings books much better capture the humanity of the characters, makeing them more believeable, making us more attached to them. Hell, after the 6th book was released people were practically up in arms when she killed off Dumbledore, remember? Why do you think that is? Because she makes her characters much more human, much more BELIEVEABLE, and thus, we as readers get much more emotionally attached to them. I love how the HP series, while originally made for little kids, captures the minds of people young and old, not just because of the adventures, because all stories of that genre have similar adventures. But rather, at least, for me, because she expertly waves both elaborate plot/adventure, seemlessly with at the same time having her books appeal to readers basest instinct, making them sort of stories about the human spirit, as it were. What it means to be human. What it means to be in love, etc etc. You get my drift.

As for favorite characters, for Inheritance, I'm not even going to bother, but as far as HP goes, my favorites (can't name just two)
are
Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny (basically all the Weasleys) and Hagrid
Least favorite: Draco Malfoy, Bellatrix Lestrange, Firenze
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:15 am
Dreami says...

just a note: I have considered burning the Inheritance Trilogy, but decided not to, and instead I grabbed highlighters and papers and marked all similarities between HP/LOTR/SW and Inheritance. (Am I allowed to sue him?) :D If I sued him, I'd wear a Darth Vadar suit to the trial, just to see Paolini's face.

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:12 pm
Evangelina says...

I hate Eragon, and the book that followed. It was simply not filling. It was stiff, a little boring, and moved so slowly.
Break the boundaries, hunt the hunter, and leave me a tip.
----to kill or not to kill

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:21 pm
Ava says...

J. K. Rowling should teach Paolini a thing or two about originality. The fantasy genre has unlimited possibilities and he comes up with Inheritance? :?
"Don't worry, you're just as sane as I am..."

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:28 pm
Evangelina says...

I know. The whole point of fantasy is for it to be fantastic, out of bounds, different...
Break the boundaries, hunt the hunter, and leave me a tip.
----to kill or not to kill

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:06 am
berrylique says...

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)? Harry
2. Galbatorix or Lord Voldemort (as villains)? Voldemort
3. The writing style of Christopher Paolini or J.K.Rowling (only the style, not the plot)? JKR
4. Inheritance or the Harry Potter series (as a whole)? Harry Potter
5. Your two most hated and loved characters from each of the series.
Harry Potter: Love: Harry, Hermione, the Weasleys, Snape, Dumbledore...
Hate: Bellatrix, Draco..
I didn't place anything from Inheritance because it's nothign compared to the HP series. JKR's series are very original. All the magic spells, words(like Quidditch, Horcruxes). I love JKR's style of writing. :D
'follow the notes upon a journey,
at first sight marks one's destiny.
when the voyage comes to an end,
return lies within hasty keys.'

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:41 pm
Shadeslayer says...

Wow, you really love Harry Potter and the Inheritance series don't you?
well i got some good news and some bad news for you christopher paolini is not going to make just 3books he is making four! the bad news is you will have to wait a while!

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)? Eragon has the heir of a hero around him

2. Galbatorix or Lord Voldemort (as villains)? Galbatorix - smart deadly

3. The writing style of Christopher Paolini or J.K.Rowling (only the style, not the plot)? the style you pretty much summed it up i can't compare them

4. Inheritance or the Harry Potter series (as a whole)? Harry Potter

5. Your two most hated and loved characters from each of the series. Hated- probaly the twins loved- Murtagh Hated-NO ONE loved- Harry
I Should Have Complete Faith In My Own Existence, Because In Order To Be Decieved About Anything, I Must First Exist

Got YWS?
Go The Dragons!

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:52 pm
Leja says...

*title edited for screaming capitalizations*

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:34 pm
Sohini says...

Hmm, thanks for the info Shade...*waits for book 3 and 4*

As for Hp, I wrote this thread at least 2 years back I think, so times have changed...A Lot.

It feels so empty without haing to wait for another HP book
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:10 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Shadeslayer wrote:Wow, you really love Harry Potter and the Inheritance series don't you?
well i got some good news and some bad news for you christopher paolini is not going to make just 3books he is making four! the bad news is you will have to wait a while!

That's the bad news?! *gags* If only he'd manage to choke on his own ego before he finishes...

Actually, I think it was a big mistake on his part to, after having supposedly been writing the third book for over two years now, have the release date for September 2008. I think he's trying to do another Rowling by making his readers wait. But Rowling never kept us waiting for three years (from GOF onwards we only had a wait of two between each), and a quick look at the comments over at Shur'tugal.com shows that his readers are, for most part, not happy. And if he tries to do the same with Book Four (which, by some, has been tentatively called Ending... *chokes on own tongue*), I strongly suspect he will lose a lot of his readership. Greed and an apparent lack of intelligence do not, it seems, go hand in hand.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

'Hush, hush!' I whispered; 'people can have many cousins and of all sorts, Miss Cathy, without being any the worse for it; only they needn't keep their company, if they be disagreeable and bad.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights