z

Young Writers Society

Diary of a Teenage Girl

Reviews: 2
Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:00 pm
dittylicious says...

I wasn't sure whether to put a rating on this or not, because the book definitely needs a rating of R, but my post isn't going to have anything bad in it. I figured I'd post R just to be safe, haha.

I've been reading the book Diary of a Teenage Girl, by Phoebe Gloeckner. It is one of the most real things I have ever read in my life, and for a piece of fiction, I find that to be so impressive when you have to keep reminding yourself that what you're reading isn't real. Anyways...

The book is set in the 70's and is about this teenage girl named Minnie that definitely had to grow up too fast. She has a relationship with her mom's boyfriend, is generally promiscuous, and involves herself in drugs and alcohol and all kinds of other bad behavior. All this at the age of 15.

One of Minnie's major influences is the cartoonist R. Crumb, and if you're familiar with his work, you know that he did a lot of edgy underground comics in the 70's. Throughout the diary, there are pictures in R. Crumb's style, along with full-page comics that Minnie has created.

The book is a poignant window into a life that too many teenage girls today live. It is shocking, but something that needs to be read and talked about. Today's youth grow up too fast, and this is something that will shove that reminder in your face and force you to pay attention.
~*~Ditty~*~

"When we choose between reality and madness/It's either sadness or euphoria." -Billy Joel

http://dittylicious.blogspot.com

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:55 am
berrylique says...

this really sound like a great book :)
she is 15, dates her mother's boyfriend, involves herself in drugs and alcohol, and lives in the 1970s?
Wow, i thought the people those days are considered to be conservative.
i will try to search for it at libraries :D
'follow the notes upon a journey,
at first sight marks one's destiny.
when the voyage comes to an end,
return lies within hasty keys.'

Reviews: 2
Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:10 pm
sar_a215 says...

I think I'll check it out, it sounds pretty cool
सारा मेरा ज़िंदगी मैं माल असबाब छिपा हुआ

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:00 pm
Night Mistress says...

sounds like interesting book. i might check it out.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:14 am
EnchantressMuffin says...

Wow, this sounds like an awesome book. Very real and beautiful and personal.

To the library!

Peace, love, chocolate,
Muffin

I wondered why we put villains in our stories when we have plenty of them in real life; then I realized that maybe we wanted stories where the good guy wins.
— nogutsnoglory