z

Young Writers Society

Fountainhead

227 Reviews

Reviews: 227
Sat May 26, 2007 8:50 am
Mad says...

It's a book a friend gave to me and I didn't really think that I'd like it but well, I was impressed.

I haven't quite finished yet, a hundred pages or so too go, but I can't stop reading it. My only criticism is that it is probably a bit longer than it needed to be.

So, yeah, anyone else read it?
Sing we for joy and idleness,
Naught else is worth the having. -- Ezra Pound

PM if you're in need of a review.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue May 29, 2007 2:23 am
jessicarabbit says...

I read The Fountainhead a few months ago and had mixed feelings about it.

I loved the plot. It kept me reading until the end and I found my self rooting for Roark many times.

The rape scene made me a little uncomfortable and confused. I definately did not understand the relationship between Roark and Dominique Francon. I also found the dialogue incredibly dull.

Overall if it wasn't for the great plot and strong characters, I would not have been able to finish it, but I could easily see why others love it.
“Every human being has hundreds of separate people living under his skin. The talent of a writer is his ability to give them their separate names, identities, personalities and have them relate to other characters living with him.” -Mel Brooks

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed May 30, 2007 1:27 am
Cade says...

It can be dull at times. Rand not only wanted to write a novel, she wanted to babble about her philosophy at the same time. I liked it, though. I highly recommend another of her books, We the Living. Excellent stuff.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed May 30, 2007 3:42 am
jessicarabbit says...

Is We the Living really long? I was thinking of attempting Atlas Shrugged over the summer, but it looks pretty intense and I don't know if I want to do that much thinking about it. I totally don't get the whole Objectivism thing. I did a buttload of research and all I got out of it was more confusion. :? Argh.

I might just reread The English Patient again. God, I love that book!! :D
“Every human being has hundreds of separate people living under his skin. The talent of a writer is his ability to give them their separate names, identities, personalities and have them relate to other characters living with him.” -Mel Brooks

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed May 30, 2007 8:04 pm
Cade says...

Objectivism is really fascinating...and Atlas Shrugged is incredibly intimidating. I was reading last year and gave up...I'm going to try again soon.

We the Living is much shorter and considerably more enjoyable. It actually...has a plot.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed May 30, 2007 8:06 pm
Emerson says...

Erm. I have this book. (I stole it from my English teacher xD) She said it's suppose to be one of the best books ever. I started it and then went "eh" but seeing as I have it, I'll get to it eventually.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

A good artist should be isolated. If he isn't isolated, something is wrong.
— Orson Welles