z

Young Writers Society

Les Miserables

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Sat May 05, 2007 6:33 am
JC says...

So, I just finished reading Les Miserables. I started reading the unabridged version in eighth grade, then gave up, then started again, then gave up. You get the picture. Anyways, so this year when my English class started to read it, I decided, what the hay, I'll finish it this time. And guess what????

I DID!!!! I'm so happy.

Anyways, It was one of those books when you finish it, and have to just sit there staring at a wall, blinking for like and hour before you can move or even think again. It was just that brillient.

So, I know a lot of you have read the short version in class or something, I challenge you, read it the way it was meant to be read, it's hard to get through at first, but it's well worth it!!!!!!!!!

AHHH! I'm just so....happy....

Merci pour ton temps!
-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Wed May 09, 2007 5:46 pm
Alainna says...

It was one of those books when you finish it, and have to just sit there staring at a wall, blinking for like and hour before you can move or even think again. It was just that brillient.
I love it when that happens!!

I've seen the musical and I've seen the film; which were both so different from each other that it is tempting to read the book. However, I really doubt I'll survive the unabridged version, so maybe I'll read the abridged one to start off. I'm adding it to my 'summer reading list' though!

Alainna
xxxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

514 Reviews

Wed May 09, 2007 11:32 pm
JC says...

The abridged version is terrible, all of the good stuff is cut out, along with my favorite part of the entire story!

hehe, but I guess the abridged version is okay to people who haven't read the full one...eh, have fun! It' amazing!
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Wed May 09, 2007 11:41 pm
Kylan says...

I read the unabridged version in seventh grade and considered it my life's greatest accomplishment at the time. It is a fantastic book!! I remember exactly where I was at the time. It was a sunday night and I was on my bed...

What were you guy's favorite parts?? Don't read the unabridged. You never get the same... punch. :D As JCobsesed said, read it as is. French culture and politics and all.

1500 pages...It's like climbing mt. everest :). Getting to the top feels good.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu May 10, 2007 12:39 am
snap says...

I actually just ordered the book after reading about it here. I saw the play a couple of weeks ago, and I've always loved that play, so I decided it was time I read the book. :)
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

514 Reviews

Fri May 11, 2007 1:14 am
JC says...

My favorite part, was definently everything that Jean Valjean had to go through to get Cosette, I mean, it was such a struggle I don't know why it got cut out of the short version.
I also nearly cried when I got to the end, not only because I was finishing it, but because of the amazing amount of feeling that was produced. Just everything was so amazingly written, it was well worth the "boring sections"
Like Kylan said, it's a great book, don't read the abridged!

hehe =D

-JC

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
— Napoleon Bonaparte