77%
no
23%

Total votes : 52

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:23 am
Areida says...

You're ridiculously grandiloquent, you know that, right Addie?

*is secretly proud of her smart baby sister* I'm related to that! *beams*
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:02 pm
Addie says...

Dargquon Ql'deleodna wrote:Don't read this book, although it is interesting how george orwell connected the important people of the russian revolution to animals, it is over all a terrible book. We were forced to read it for ADV. World History this year, when we were studying the Russian Revolution. It was terrible, also the animal farm movie was terrible as well.

You gave no reason for why it was terrible; you just said it was. In my previous post, I stated that I enjoyed the politics in it. I may be morbid, but I thought it was a good book. Maybe you thought it was so awful because you were "forced to read it for ADV. Word History." Don't be so pessimistic about it and enjoy what you did like about it.

Areida wrote:You're ridiculously grandiloquent, you know that, right Addie?

*is secretly proud of her smart baby sister* I'm related to that! *beams*

You know, I don't mind you saying I'm your smart baby sister. But every time you use baby, I picture myself as a really fat, pink baby with rather large butt cheeks. (And face cheeks).
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic.
Joseph Stalin (1879 - 1953)

375 Reviews

Reviews: 375
Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:50 pm
Dargquon Ql'deleodna says...

Addie wrote:
Dargquon Ql'deleodna wrote:Don't read this book, although it is interesting how george orwell connected the important people of the russian revolution to animals, it is over all a terrible book. We were forced to read it for ADV. World History this year, when we were studying the Russian Revolution. It was terrible, also the animal farm movie was terrible as well.

You gave no reason for why it was terrible; you just said it was. In my previous post, I stated that I enjoyed the politics in it. I may be morbid, but I thought it was a good book. Maybe you thought it was so awful because you were "forced to read it for ADV. Word History." Don't be so pessimistic about it and enjoy what you did like about it.

there wasn't anything I liked in the book (i'm not being pessimistic); The politics were boring (did i mention I Hate discussing politics, they are so twisted and web out everywhere. Confusing web of chaos), All it did was restate what the text book said, except to where it is animals instead of humans (while he may have thought this was clever (in some ways it was, such as he thought of the russians as Communistic pigs, or It leads that he thinks that)). The writing style wasn't like-able (for me), it's just not the type of book (animals that talk and such) that I like to read. And you are correct, usually when you are required to read something it makes things worse, but it was also the fact it was a dull and boring book (IMO).

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:37 am
Meshugenah says...

I read it for english last year; and I initially didn't like it. I think that was partly becuase I was forced to read it, though. Now.. I'm still not overly fond of it, but it was well written (oh, alliteration, points!). Part of what turned me off what the constant need of every little thing to be explained in class, like Addie said. People couldn't get past the fact the characters were farm animals (eh, for the record, I don't usually like personfication of this extreme, either), and many did not understand who something like the book could happen. And then were shocked to learn it was based on reality. I'm fuzzy on details, now, but I do remember thinking, "Gee, I should really look in the physcology of this." ANd I'll end my rambling here. It's not a book I would have picked up to read for pleasure, but I'm glad I read it.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:54 pm
Cassandra says...

How was is it that I haven't posted in here yet?

I read this book last summer and loved it. The ending was perfect, and the way you can draw parallel after parallel between the farm animals and our society is cool and creepy. But it was indeed sad. Definitely one of those books that makes you think. Actually, it's right up there on a list of my favorite books.
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:29 pm
Emerson says...

I suggest this book to no one!!!!

It scared me. Horribly. I should go add this to my 'books I hate list' over in that other thread.

SCARY BOOK! I've never liked Humanized (what is it called? I forget the real word) animals.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:09 pm
Cassandra says...

Personification?

It would seem that we have opposite tastes in books, Claudette! Which makes it pretty funny that we really like eachother's NaNo plot...XD
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:41 pm
Leja says...

I read this book for my freshman English class and totally loved it. Satire is totally up my alley, and even though some of it made me really sad, I think it made for great political commentary. I don't usually like talking animals either (I couldn't stand Babe or Charlotte's Web when I was younger), but this just plain worked.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:14 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Personification?

I've never liked Humanized (what is it called? I forget the real word) animals.

It's Anthropomorphism. (hee hee, big word XD)

I liked it, we had to read it for English last year. One of the better books we were assigned. I didn't find it tha scary. But have you seen the film? That's downright disturbing *shivers*

-Kaz
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:38 pm
Prokaryote says...

I read it a while ago, and if you ask me, it's superior to 1984. It's short and it makes its point quite well... And the ending is nice and creepy. :)

Prokaryote

Reviews: 0
Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:22 pm
BoyAfraid says...

I loved every sentence of animal farm. But i would never recommend it to those uninterested in politics and history, and especially not those who don't have a keen eye for satire.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:51 pm
Taiven says...

I thought it was pretty good when I read it. Not my favouite, of course, but interesting and different.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:06 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Although I didn't really see much of the allegorical meaning to it. Maybe I'm just an idiot XD
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:07 pm
HeadInTheClouds says...

We read it in my Language Arts class a while back. At first I found it boring, but that was probably just because I hate being forced to read anything i'm not interested in beforehand. It grew on me though. I seem to be one of the few fans of personification here, and thought that was very cool. I liked the message of the book too, and how there were so many parallels to society.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:06 am
JC says...

Anthropomorphism.

Wow...BIG word!! hehe. I should add that to my vocabulary...and keep it. It's just that impressive.

As for Animal Farm, I've read it. Knowing before hand what it was all about. So I read it with my English class...Well, while they read it-slowly- together I finished it in a class period. Small book eh?

Nothing about it jumped out at me though. I didn't have favorites, or least favorites, no lines inspired me. It left no impact on me what-so-ever. Therefore I hated it.

The writing did nothing for me, the story line was the same. I read it because I had to, and was very disappointed. Just to add to how much I really disliked that book, is the fact that I actually like satirical government stuff. It's right up my ally, yet I didn't like the book at all. Maybe it was the animals...who knows...

I don't recommend this book to anyone, even though at some point you'll probably have to read it. If you happen to like it though, kudos to you, that's an achievement to me.
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

I don't have much knowledge about marsupials.
— ForeverYoung