17%
33%
25%

Total votes : 12

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:39 pm
Prosithion says...

Did anyone here read the Silmarillion. If so, how was it?
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:38 pm
last mohican says...

It was good. Especially liked the part about Beren and Luthien. Have you read it before?
"...I have conclusively determined that you are not Hamlet, Scout Finch, Frankenstine's monster, Ms. Marple, or a golum. Aren't you relieved to know you're not a golum?"~Dustin Hoffman

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:47 am
Bjorn says...

I'm being honest and giving it a 9. I was going to give it a 10, but that would have been my Tolkien bias talking. An excellent story, if you could call it that, but lacking what I found in the Book of Lost Tales. That certain 'air', that true Faery tale feel about it. That being said, it was epic and powerful. A good read indeed :D
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:32 pm
Prosithion says...

I read it, but the only thing I didn't like was that I read it for the fall of Gondolin. I wanted to know more about that. I thought it was a wonderful book.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:04 pm
Poor Imp says...

Brilliant mythology, well-told and tragic, as complete as any of the myths and legends of various cultures - and written by one man. ^_^

Er, I gave it a 10.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

126 Reviews

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:58 am
Bjorn says...

I suggest you then read the "Book of Lost Tales" (parts 1&2). Part two has the originally concieved Fall of Gondolin.
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:25 am
Fand says...

Well, that was an easy one. J. R. R. Tolkien is the reason why I've wanted to be a writer from a young age. I actually like the Silmarillion better than the trilogy - that probably has something to do with my father, though. When I was too little to be able to read Tolkien's works, my dad would paraphrase the stories for me, and they all seemed to be from the Silmarillion... or about Ents. Again, that probably explains my otherwise inexplicable love of trees.

Yes, I have actually hugged trees. I used to talk to the one in our backyard in hopes it would talk back...
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

Random avatar

Reviews: 99
Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:50 am
Niamh says...

I liked the Silmarillion better than the trilogy as well. It has so many ties to Norse mythology, which made it even better for me because I'm a Norse mythology dork. It was beautifully written. Tolkien's writing style has definitely been an inspiration to me. He was a brilliant man. I gave it a 10.
"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself." -- Declaration of Arbroath

126 Reviews

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:52 am
Bjorn says...

I won't lie when I say that his style has permeated into my writings as well!

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:19 am
Jiggity says...

I havent read it, I know its a terrible sin, and I am in complete love with LOTR but I havent. The only time I tried, I was much younger and couldnt understand it. I'll have to give it another go.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:01 pm
Lilyy03 says...

It was totally wonderful... *sigh* ^_^
I should read it again sometime soon. It's amazing, both how much mythology Tolkien created for Middle Earth, and how powerful and beautiful it all is.

I actually liked LOTR better, but I liked the Silmarillion very much too--and it's interesting how the events of LOTR almost seem like a small postscipt to everything else that had happened in Middle Earth.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:48 am
Pushca says...

How was it? Unreadable.

Yes, I suck.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:45 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Poor Imp wrote:Brilliant mythology, well-told and tragic, as complete as any of the myths and legends of various cultures - and written by one man. ^_^

Er, I gave it a 10.

Well, not exactly one man. It was published posthumously, so his son had to edit it, and even add a few elements of his own. That being said, I'm just splitting hairs. XD It's a miraculous achievement, to have created a world and culture that is not far apart in scope to the Bible. I give it 9, mainly 'cause I haven't read it all (first time I tried I gave up after a few pages. I know, shame on me!) but I am aware of the scope beind it. I've ordered my own copy, so I will gradually make my way through that.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

The adjective should reinvent the noun.
— Leslie Norris