z

Young Writers Society

The Book Thief (K, now who likes historical fiction?)

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:51 pm
View Likes
JC says...

It was a wonderful book. I was hesitant to read it at first, the title threw me off a little bit. But then I did read it and...wow. It was POWERFUL! a wonderful story, I almost cried, and books never make me cry. Ever. This is a book everyone should read, especially those of you who like historical fiction.

If you've never read it... (here's the back)

Narrated by Death, Markus Zusak's groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a young foster girl living outside of Munich in Nazi Germany. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she discovers something she cant resist-books. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever they are to be found.

With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids, as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement.

First page

First the colors.
Then the humans.
That's usually how I see things.
Or at least how I try.

***HERE IS A SMALL FACT***
You are going to die

I am in all truthfulness attempting to be cheerful about this whole topic, though most people find themselves hindered in believing me, no matter what my protestations. Please, trust me. I most definitely can be cheerful. I can be amiable. Agreeable. Affable. And that's only the A's. Just don't ask me to be nice. Nice has nothing to do with me.

***REACTION TO THE ***
AFOREMENTIONED FACT
Does this worry you?
I urge you-don't be afraid
I'm nothing if not fair.

This book is simply amazing, and everybody should read it.
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing.
— Sylvia Plath