z

Young Writers Society

Darren Shan - "Cirque Du Freak"

Reviews: 1
Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:33 pm
Kimiri says...

I've finished the series not too long ago and I must say, I've never been so glued to a story in a long long time!

There are so many twists and turns, that you have to see what'll become to the main character. It's different from many other vampire stories, most of which involve blood sucking from the neck and many extraordinary powers. But this one's different. You can actually connect with the characters... Well I anyways. But it was just such a lovely story. The story is about a young boy named, Darren Shan. He goes to a circus of freaks with a friend of his. But he does something most would say was stupid. I'd rather not spoil much of the story so that's all I can say...

But don't take my word for it! Read it yourselves!
Read my Blog, eh?

^.^

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:37 pm
Sureal says...

Personally, I prefer the Demonata series.

The Saga of Darren Shan (as it should be known, not the crappy American title of 'Cirque du Freak Series') suffers from a number of flaws. I think chief amongst them is a simplistic writing style, an excess of exclamation marks, and easily predictable plot twists.

The last three books are, in my opinion, the pick of the buch, followed by the three preceeding them.

I'd still recommend them for reading, especially for anyone aged fifteen or younger. Anyone eleven or younger will especially love them, thanks to the gore elements present. Definately one to share with your younger siblings.

If you haven't already, you should take a look at his Demonata series, the first book of which is Lord Loss. The lesson's Shan learnt from writing the Saga has been applied here. The Demonata is also a darker and scarier series, although the present tense voice he uses takes a little getting used to.
I wrote the above just for you.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:33 am
Magyk says...

I love the Demonata series and The Saga of Darren Shan (Yes, Im British so its not Cirque Du Freak). I read the Saga a couple of years ago and finished the whole series within about a month.

I am up to date with the Demonata series and am looking forward to Blood Beast (Book 5). The Demonata series is much better written and much gorrier which is great.

Both great series' of books. Looking forward to more books by Mr Shan soon. . .

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:58 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Yay, go Saga of Darren Shan title! Yep, I'm British too! I've just started reading Cirque Du Freak, today, actually, and from what I've read already, it does seem quite simplistic, and the over use of exclamation marks does tend to be a little annoying at sometimes.

I have up to book four of the Saga, and Lord Loss of The Demonata, so I will be buying the rest in due course.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:07 pm
Sureal says...

Later books in the series don't abuse the exclamation mark, but I'm not sure if this is the author improving as a writer, or a way to represent the growing maturity of the narrator.

If you look at Darren Shan's blog and his website, you'll see he uses exclamation marks a lot there too.
I wrote the above just for you.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:50 pm
Magyk says...

I did love the saga but I have to admit, it is quite a predictable story line, except the ending. But I won't ruin that if you have only just started the saga.

Enjoy!

-Jack

79 Reviews

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:05 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Also, on further reading, I'm finding them quite patronising. I get the feeling that Mr Shan is trying to be all "cool" and stuff, but it's not working. I like the book though, and it is getting better. I always like a new literary journey... *dramatic pause*

Anyways, i got nuthin else to say!

Bye,
Kaz
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:04 pm
Myth says...

I've read a few of them, liked the first didn't have much of an opinion on the others.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

79 Reviews

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:57 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Yes, you're right, the stupidity of that boy was unbelievable. I found that quite degrading, that the author thinks that a child that is so obsessed with, well, you know, would go and do... you know!

But they do get better.

-Kaz
Last edited by Cpt. Smurf on Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Stewie Griffin

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 am
Nutty says...

I remember this book! I've got it... somewhere... *glances at impeding piles of books guiltily* Yeah, it was a good book. Personally, I prefer more complicated plots (try katherine kerr... now THEY jumped around) But as a light read, it definatly left you hungry for more. I never did find the second one... but I remember staring at the last page going "But it was just getting good!" Heh heh bad blood indeed...

Oh may i mention... I was ten when I read it. Him trying to be cool didn't worry me I just wanted to know what happened next

It's all a matter of perspective. Everyone is the hero of their own story, and the villain of another's.
— James