Young Writers Society

The God Delusion

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:36 pm
Shadow120 says...

By Richard Dawkins.

Best book I've ever read.

But thats just my oppinion, I'm interested to know if any devoult christians have read it, just interesting to see their oppinions on it, really. I've seen some angry reviews from adult christians, but I'm more interested to see how younger readers reacted? I have always been an atheist. But this book just opened my eyes a tiny bit more.

x

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:18 pm
backgroundbob says...

Some of Dawkins' points are valid - we must remember that Christianity and faith in general is immensely subjective and personal as well as objective and corperate. However, what he fails to grasp upon is that there is no life without faith: whether you believe in God or the absolute randomness of the universe, every choice of unsubstantiated belief takes a step of faith - if anything, it takes more faith and illogical reasoning to convince yourself that there is no God of any kind that is does to believe there is one.

Like many before him, Dawkins has touched on key points where Christianity is lacking in integrity, but his attempts to prove that there absolutely must be no God are flawed - his reasoning is based on a system of belief, different but of the same make as a belief in God. It doesn't Christianity better than his ideas, but it does give them equal weight.

He writes well, but take everything he says with a pinch of salt: don't forget that it is, above anything else, a text of the atheist religion.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.
— Leonardo da Vinci