z

Young Writers Society

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:46 pm
Fand says...

I've never reviewed a book without finishing it before, but I feel the need to now. My mother passed me this book the other day saying that I had to read it, and since we have very different taste in literature, I took the recommendation with a grain of salt.

Then, I looked at the first page.

This is a book for anyone with a love of words and storytelling. It all begins when the main character, a self-proclaimed "dilettante" of a biographer named Margaret Lea, receives a letter from the best-selling and reclusive writer Vida Winter, inviting her to write her biography. Margaret is wary at first, but as she begins to note the parallels between her life and that of the dying Vida Winter, she becomes entranced--entranced as any reader will be upon starting this novel.

I'll probably add more to this once I've actually finished the book, but for now, that's all. :wink:
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:24 pm
Chandni says...

Hmm, this sounds very intresting, I guess I read a similiar book to this one before. About writing a biography and such, I hardly remember it. But hey I'm looking forward for you to add up to this ;)

Cheerios, Chandni
I should not keep on, I'll just creep on creepin'on.

Reviews: 0
Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:23 pm
BettyGoose says...

I've been desperate to read this book since it was suddenly featured in so many magazines with such positive reviews, but as it's on my christmas list I'll have to wait and see if I get lucky! Hope you're still enjoying it.

Au Revoir
- Let's go and find a bar, so dark we forget who we are! So that all the scars from the Nevers and Maybes...die! -

Once here on Young Writers Society, in chat, chickens wanted variety. They complained to Nate and after debate became funky orangutans silently.
— Mea