z

Young Writers Society

A Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:43 am
Crayon says...

However, people are always unaware of the fact that she wrote that diary for publication.

OK, so Anne understood the fact that she would die and she decided to write a novel about it that she wouldnt profit from in any way, cause that just makes so much damn sense! And she wanted to put her family to shame when she wrote about her periods and how much she hated her sister once again, cant argue with that logic.

The Diary of Anne Frank is just that, after she died her father edited and published her diary, if she did a little editing and truth stretching along the way whats the problem? I mean what else would you do if you were in her shoes?
Trying to survive "sweet sixteen."
---
<love> is sweet -suicide- and {[you]} are my LATEST a.t.t.e.m.p.t

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:56 am
Snoink says...

She wanted to take her diary, change the plot around and sell it. So, while she was writing it, she didn't think, "Oh, I'm going to publish this diary." She thought, "Maybe I can make a fictional account of my life after the war." She talked about that quite a bit, especially after Hitler was betrayed.

It was her father who edited it. He realized that she would never be able to write the novel she wanted to, so he edited it to include some of the historical parts, but to leave out the message of some of the nastier things said about him. This version is known as A. Then, once that book became popular, the Frank estate got all of the manuscript of her diary, edited it again, and came up with version B. Now, I believe, the version is a mixture between version A and version B. But she didn't intend to publish her diary...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:44 pm
kiashana says...

Snoink wrote:She wanted to take her diary, change the plot around and sell it. So, while she was writing it, she didn't think, "Oh, I'm going to publish this diary." She thought, "Maybe I can make a fictional account of my life after the war." She talked about that quite a bit, especially after Hitler was betrayed.

It was her father who edited it. He realized that she would never be able to write the novel she wanted to, so he edited it to include some of the historical parts, but to leave out the message of some of the nastier things said about him. This version is known as A. Then, once that book became popular, the Frank estate got all of the manuscript of her diary, edited it again, and came up with version B. Now, I believe, the version is a mixture between version A and version B. But she didn't intend to publish her diary...
Everything I've ever heard says that in the original manuscript of the diary, Anne Frank did her own editting. Her diary was like our short stories- we edit and edit and edit, and she editted and editted and editted the diary. It may still be her thoughts and such, but it isn't a first draft diary kind of thing, which is what everyone seems to think it is.
Crayon- She didn't understand that she would die. They were in hiding too long to find out about the death camps before they were captured. It wasn't a novel- it was creative nonfiction. And if she wanted the story to ring true, how could she not write about everything that happened? Those passages are among the most compelling in the book. She wasn't trying to put her family to shame, she was writing a memoir of her time in hiding, which includes everything. Had she lived to publish, it probably would've gotten a bad reaction from her family, but we don't think of it as shaming anyone because they all died.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:06 pm
Araidne says...

I loved the book! :lots_hearts: But it is sad . If they could have hidden for only two more weeks, the Allied forces would have reached them. At the death camp,if she could have lived for a few more days, the camp would have been liberated. I cry every time I read her diary. :cry: But she is an inspriring girl.
Out flew the web, and floated wide,
The mirror cracked from side to side.
'The curse has come upon me' cried
The Lady of Shalott

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:51 pm
sabradan says...

Snoink wrote:She wanted to take her diary, change the plot around and sell it. So, while she was writing it, she didn't think, "Oh, I'm going to publish this diary." She thought, "Maybe I can make a fictional account of my life after the war." She talked about that quite a bit, especially after Hitler was betrayed.

SHE couldn't have talked about those kinds of things when Hitler died, snoink, because Hitler died in May of 1945, and by that time, she was dead. zt''l. Its been a long time since I've read the diary, but I think she was found in what, '43? '44? By that time, the death camps were working full speed and at full capacity to try to murder as many people as possible before German occupied lands were liberated and the allies found out what they were doing. Odds are, they were captured, shipped to either Auschwitz, Bergen-Belsen, or Majdanek, and killed almost immediately. Its so sad, obviously.

While it is a good peice of literature, especially for trying to teach the Shoah (Holocaust) to younger children, there are many more books that are better at it. Some examples:
Night by Elie Wiezel
Number the stars A series of Diaries of Seven children who were murdered in the Shoah.
Or, for non-fiction:
Tell Them We RememberI forget who the author is.

Or, if you want to teach not just about the holocaust, but man's inhumanity to mankind in general, a good one is:
Why Do They Hate Me?I forget the author, but it is a collection of short stories set in different time periods in which people kill each other for little or no reason at all. It starts in the Holocaust and has four stories from there. Then it goees to Northern Ireland and has I believe 5 stories from there. Then it goes to Israel and has like 5 from there. Really a great read.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:43 pm
kiashana says...

Sabradan, I believe the Franks were sent to Aushwitz-Birkenau, seperated by men and women. Anne and Margot died either in Birkenau or Bergen-Belsen, I'm not sure which.
But I agree on the fact that there are so many better Holocaust books out there. Still, Night may be a little much for younger readers. I read Jane Yolen's The Devil's Arithmetic in elementary school and Briar Rose in middle school. Both are fictional but pretty accurate, and appropriate for those age groups.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:20 am
Via says...

I owe everything in the way of my writing to Anne Frank.

Seriously. We actually had to do a paper on what event, person, or thing sparked our interest in writing for our senior project in highschool.

When I was little my mother read a little of this book to me every night before I went to bed. [We, of course, read it in school some years later as well]. That was the moment I decided I wanted to start writing. I started journaling because I thought if I kept a journal everyday that someday someone might find it and publish it and a million people would read it. Of course, then I was too young to understand the signifigance of this particular diary [besides, now I'm fairly certain I would skip the country and change my name if a million people read my journal haha].

Anne Frank is the reason I'm writing today. Without her, I might have been in the circus or something.

:D
Meg
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:47 pm
lucafont90 says...

I read the book when I was in fifth grade. Lovely book. Wonderful writer. So sad that she died.
I am a published author with two novels on the market.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:14 pm
View Likes
Pushca says...

as to what meg said... yeah, anne frank is pretty much the reason i started journaling. not writing, maybe, but definitely journaling, and that's where i got most of my practice.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:50 am
Mr. Everyone says...

I absolutely loved this book! It was an awe-inspiring beutiful peice of art. I recomend it to anyone who has eyes or fingers for brail. I loved it. It was extremely moving.

keep writing and =) happy reading (=
~Everyone~

=) *wave*

I can factcheck ur flashback outfits
— SirenCymbaline