z

Young Writers Society

Irrational Man and The Idiot

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:12 am
doubt_all says...

Okay, so I just finished reading Irrational Man by William Barrett and about a month before that Dostoevsky's The Idiot.

Irrational Man is non-fiction, if you didn't know, but I couldn't find a specific nf thread, so I'm lumping it in with my Dostoevsky thread, as they're related. And on that note, is there any possibility of us maybe getting a thread to discuss nf works... or maybe a philosophy thread???

Anyway, I'll tackle Irrational Man first. A fantastic introduction to existential philosophy, and what I like about it best is that it put the philosophy and its proponents in historical context while also criticizing it and defending it where appropriate. (Keep in mind the time period when it was written, which was around the cold war era, as you also have to put the book into context when reading it.) It first explores a progression of existential themes in art (both visual and written) exploring works by writers from good ol' Goethe to Hemingway. It then explores the religious roots of existentialism before tackling four of the major figures in the movement: Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Heidegger, and Sartre. Barrett is certainly biased towards Heidegger, so keep that in mind also if you ever read this - works for me, because I'm biased towards Heidegger, but to each their own. If you're interested in philosophy and in some of the most powerful thinkers of our time - whether or not you agree with their thoughts - please, take the time to read this. It's easy to read (as far as philosophy is concerned) and you might actually learn something, not just about the world but about yourself. It may even change the way you think.

As for The Idiot. Well, it's a classic, but I have to say, this is Dostoevsky's flop. Crime and Punishment great, The Brothers Karamazov the best... The Idiot, ugh. It was a chore to read. Part 1 was probably the best, mainly because of Dostoevsky's usual keen insight into humanity. However, after that it sort of dragged its heels. I think my main peeve with the book is the protagonist Prince Myshkin. He really is an idiot. Was anyone else annoyed by him as I was. Anastassya almost made up for him though... almost. On the plus side, the strain between these two was heart-wrenching, and the awkward relationship between Myshkin and Rog-z-n-whatever (I hate Russian names) made me fidget to no end. Brilliantly written, brilliant human insights, but boring and with a mildly irritating protagonist. I say, stick to Crime and Punishment or The Brothers Karamazov.

If you haven't read this one in particular, what are people's thoughts on the Russian greats? Any faves? (Tolstoy possibly?)
"Every man is born as many men and dies as a single one." - Martin Heidegger

"Making itself intelligible is suicide for philosophy." - Martin Heidegger

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:39 am
Mr. Everyone says...

Deffinetely looks like somthing im going to have to pick up! =)

keep writing and =) happy reading (=
~Everyone~

=) *wave*

Ogres are like onions.
— Shrek